iPhone Lost Contacts after iOS 12/13/14 Update? How to Get Contacts Back on iPhone after Update?
"I did the latest update on my iPhone 12 Pro Max two days ago, and now I find my contacts are missing. Help!" (from Apple Support Communities)
The latest iOS always surprises iPhone users by offering enhancements. But many people may find contacts missing from iPhone after update. Whether you update your iPhone from its Settings, DFU mode, or perhaps others, your contacts are at risk of loss (see how to exit iPhone DFU mode with no data loss).
"iPhone update lost contacts" might occur mainly because of:
- Some bugs in the (beta) iOS.
- The way you update your iPhone.
- Network stability.
Stumbling on this scenario, do you know how to recover lost contacts after iOS 11/12/13/13.3/14 update with or without any backup? OK, here are five simple ways for you.
- Way 1: How to Recover iPhone Lost Contacts after Update by Importing Them from SIM
- Way 2: How to Restore iPhone Contacts after an Update by Checking Contacts Groups Settings
- Way 3: How to Retrieve Lost Contacts after iOS Update Using iCloud
- Way 4: How to Get Contacts Back on iPhone after Update from iTunes Backup
- Way 5: How to Recover Lost Contacts after iOS Update on iPhone Directly without Backup
If you happen to have some lost contacts in your iPhone's SIM card, congratulations, you just need to import the items from the SIM to your iPhone 12/11/XR/Xs/X/8/7/6/5, etc. This should be the easiest avenue to fix iPhone lost contacts after an update.
How to get contacts back on iPhone after update by importing them from SIM?
- Wake up your iPhone and head to its Settings.
- Choose Contacts > Import SIM Contacts.
- [Fixed] How to Recover iPhone Data after iOS Update?
- How to Fix Contacts Disappeared from Android? [Definitive Guide]
Next, be sure to check the groups which save your iPhone contacts in the Contacts app. Yet, this way won't work if the contacts are deleted from your iPhone.
How to check lost contacts after iOS update from Contacts Groups Settings?
- On your iPhone, tap the Phone app > Contacts > Group.
- Touch All iCloud to uncheck it.
- Press All on My iPhone.
- Tap Done.
- Now, simply find your missing contacts.
Assuming any are found missing, add them to your iCloud Contacts list as follows:
- Share the contacts with yourself via "Messages".
- Close the Contacts app.
- Run the Message app.
- Tap the Contact card.
- Select Create New Contact.
- Add any additional info as you want.
- Hit Done.
I updated my iPhone and lost all my contacts. How can I fetch them? Indeed, new iPhone update lost contacts often occur unexpectedly, even if you update your device with common methods. Luckily, if you kept a backup of iPhone contacts on iCloud, you can trace them in two ways from the Cloud. But this would result in your iPhone with no previous content.
Additionally, the new update may be a bit slow to accomplish the full sync from iCloud or iCloud backup failed. If that's the case, you can try re-syncing iPhone via iCloud.
> Fix iPhone contacts missing after update from iCloud Backup
- Open your iPhone and go to Settings > General > Reset.
- Select "Erase All Contents and Settings".
- Follow the prompts to set up your iPhone.
- Choose "Restore from iCloud Backup" when you see the "App & Data" screen.
- Enter your iCloud log-in credentials and wait for your content to restore.
> Fix iOS Update Lost/Deleted Contacts from iCloud.com
- In the Settings on icloud.com, click "Restore Contacts".
- Versions available are listed by the date and time.
- Scroll down to choose the right version you want to restore.
- Click "Restore" and wait for iCloud to complete the restore operation.
> Re-sync iCloud on iPhone to Retrieve missing contacts
- Go to your iPhone Settings.
- Click your name > touch the "iCloud" button.
- Turn on the "Contact" option.
- Your contacts on iPhone and iCloud will be merged and thus be re-synced.
- How to Recover Deleted Contacts from Gmail/Outlook?
- How to Transfer Contacts from iPhone to iPhone [7 Easy Ways]
I updated my phone and lost my contacts. There's no backup in iCloud but in iTunes. Given this, it is also an easy way to restore iPhone lost contacts from iTunes backup.
Note that it'll replace the current iPhone stuff with all the previous backup files, not just the contacts. Therefore, make sure the backup covers your desired contact data beforehand.
How do I restore my iPhone contacts after an update from iPhone backup?
- Run iTunes on your computer.
- Connect your iPhone to the computer via a USB cable. (iTunes doesn't recognize my iPhone?)
- Click the device icon when it shows in iTunes.
- Choose "Restore Backup".
- Select one backup that contains the data you wish to restore.
- Click "Restore" to start the restoring process.
Lost all contacts on iPhone after update, and you don't have a backup of your iPhone? That's easy. Just try the most powerful iPhone Data Recovery tool - MobiKin Doctor for iOS, to rescue all the missing contacts. Boasting a high success rate and a good reputation, it has become the top choice for iPhone users to recover deleted or lost iPhone items.
Doctor for iOS stands out because:
- Restore contacts missing from iPhone after update without backup.
- Recover iPhone files from iTunes backup without erasing existing data.
- It also helps retrieve photos, videos, messages, call logs, voice memos, calendars, Safari history, notes, and a lot more.
- Enable you to preview and select any files before the restore.
- Work for overall iDevices, including iPhone 12/12 Pro (Max)/12 mini, iPhone 11/11 Pro/11 Pro Max, iPhone X/XR/Xs/Xs Max, iPhone 8/8 Plus, iPhone 7/7 Plus, iPhone 6/6S/6 Plus, iPod, iPad, etc.
- It can well protect your privacy.
Now, let's see how to fix iPhone update lost contacts by restoring them via iPhone Data Recovery:
Step 1. Connect your iPhone to your computer
Run the tool on a computer after the installation. Choose "Recover from iOS Device" from its interface. Link your iPhone to the computer via a USB cable. Then, have the phone identified by the tool following the on-screen prompts.
From here, you can select "Recover from iTunes Backup File" to selectively restore lost iPhone contacts from iTunes backup.
Step 2. Preview and select the lost iPhone contacts
Now, you'll get the main screen of the program, with all recovered file types are displayed. Choose "Contacts" folder from the screen and click "Start Scan" to load and view the lost iPhone contacts on this computer.
Step 3. Get contacts back on iPhone after update
Mark the contacts you want from the right of the interface and press "Recover to Computer" to restore contacts missing from iPhone after update.
The Bottom Line
Here, we are sure that you have been proficient in resolving how to get lost contacts from your iPhone. Finally, just a reminder: the next time you do an iOS update, remember to make a backup of your iPhone in advance.
If you really forget to do that, or there was an error in the backup file, you can pick MobiKin Doctor for iOS to retrieve lost contacts or other content from your iPhone as easy as ABC.
Any questions on this topic? You are welcome to leave your thoughts in the comment section below.