iPhone Text Messages Disappeared? Find Solutions Here 
Many users reported that their text messages suddenly disappeared after the iPhone was updated to iOS 14/13/12/11.3; or you did nothing, but when you access the Message app on the iPhone normally, the inbox is empty. For iPhone users, the Messages app is a great way for people to chat with family, friends, and loved ones via text messages. Therefore, the problem of "iPhone text messages disappeared" will bring you a lot of trouble.
Don't worry, the data that suddenly disappeared from the iPhone may not disappear forever. In this article, we will explain the reasons why your text messages disappeared on your iPhone, and some effective ways to retrieve missing text messages from iPhone.
- Part 1. Why Did My Text Messages Disappear?
- Part 2. Try Basic Steps to Recover Disappeared Text Messages from iPhone
- Part 3. Restore Disappeared iPhone Text Messages from iTunes/iCloud Backup
- Part 4. Retrieve Disappeared Text Messages from iPhone without Backup
- Bonus: Messages Icon Disappeared from iPhone?
"My iPhone 7 reminded me that I can upgrade to the latest iOS 14.6. I did this, and something I regretted happened: All of my text messages disappeared on my iPhone! I can actually receive some text messages later, but once I close the Message app, these text messages will also be disappeared. I have not backed up my phone anywhere. Can anyone help explain why are my text messages disappearing? Where did my text messages go? How do you get messages back that disappeared on iPhone? Thank you!"
You are not the only user suffering from this problem. In fact, there are many possibilities to cause iPhone text messages disappeared. Now we enumerate a few common reasons.
Delete text messages accidentally
This is the most common cause of iPhone messages disappeared. You may delete important text messages inadvertently without even knowing it yourself. Or maybe your family deleted your text messages by mistake.
iOS update failed
When the iOS update fails, this may not only cause the loss of messages, but also many other problems.
Restored iPhone from the wrong backup
We all know that we can back up iPhone to iTunes or iCloud, and restore data from the backup. But once the backup data is restored to the phone, the current data on the phone will be overwritten. When you restore data from the wrong backup, it will cause data loss. Therefore, we must be extra careful when choosing backup files.
The message disappears after restarting the iPhone
To solve some common iPhone physical problems, for example, when the iPhone crashes or becomes bricked, the most convenient way is to restart the device. However, some data, including text messages, contacts, and photos, will be lost due to forced restart of the iPhone.
Insufficient storage space on iPhone
If the iPhone has no more space to store more messages, the text messages on the iPhone will disappear.
Enable the automatic deletion of messages on the iPhone
Many people don't know that the iPhone has a feature that allows you to specify the period of time to keep messages. For example, if you set your iPhone to delete messages after 30 days, messages older than 30 days will be automatically deleted from the device.
That’s all, here are some solutions to this problem:
- 2 Efficient Methods to Backup and Restore iPhone without iTunes
- How to Restore iPhone from iCloud Backup File for Windows/Mac?
Some of my messages are gone from iPhone? Please be patient and try some basic solutions to solve the problem of "text messages disappeared from iPhone".
Fix 1: Turning off "iMessage" & "MMS messaging" and then on
Sometimes the Message app error may cause the problem of text messages from one contact disappeared. Restarting the messaging app in the settings is an effective method. Please follow the simple steps below.
- Go to "Settings" on your iPhone and choose "Messages".
- Swipe up to close "iMessage" and "MMS messaging".
- Wait a few seconds and tap them to relaunch them again.
Fix 2: Reset all setting on iPhone
You can also reset all settings on your iPhone to fix text messages disappeared completely, or text messages from one person disappeared problems.
To do this, you should Go to "Settings" on your iPhone, and tap on "General"> "Reset"> "Reset All Settings".
This action will reset all system settings on the iPhone to default values, but will not delete any data on the device.
Fix 3: Force Restart your iPhone
- On iPhone 7, iPhone 6, and earlier, hold the Side button and Home button simultaneously until you see the Apple logo.
- On iPhone 8, iPhone X/Xs/XR, iPhone 11 and iPhone 12, quickly press and release Volume Up button, quickly press and release Volume Down button, and then press and hold Side button until the Apple logo appears.
Fix 4: Update iOS to Latest Version
If your iPhone is still running an outdated version of iOS, you may encounter some problems, including the loss of text messages. Every update of iOS will help eliminate problems such as data loss caused by some software bugs. So, please follow the steps below to upgrade iOS to the latest version.
- Go to "Settings" on your iPhone and tap on "General"
- Tap on "Software Update" and the device will search for an available update.
- Once the update is available, tap on "Download and Install".
- Follow the instructions on the screen to install the update.
Fix 5: Turn on Airplay mode
You can try to turn on the AirPlay mode, wait a few seconds and then turn it off. Some users have reported that this can not only fix "iPhone messages disappeared", but also solve other device problems.
Fix 6: Check iCloud Message Sync
Tests have shown that turning off iCloud for Messages and turning it on again will reset the message settings and help fix the problem of iPhone messages disappeared or texts from one person disappeared problems.
- Go to Settings app on your iPhone.
- Tap [your name] and choose "iCloud".
- Turn off the "Messages" option.
- Wait for a while and turn it back on.
Fix 7: Change Message Frequency
If you have set the message to be retained for 30 days or 1 year in the settings, the messages that exceed this time limit will be automatically deleted. Therefore, you can try to check the message frequency and change this to Keep Messages "Forever."
- Go to "Settings" on your iPhone, and scroll down the screen to choose "Message"
- Under Messages History, choose "Keep Messages".
- You will see three options here: 30 Days, 1 Year, and Forever. Just choose "Forever".
If you have ever backed up your iPhone to iCloud or iTunes, then you are lucky because you can retrieve missing text messages on iPhone from the backup. However, the biggest drawback of doing this is that the existing data on the phone will be overwritten by the backup data, which means you will lose the existing data and files on the iPhone.
Fix 8: Restore from iTunes backup
- Connect your iPhone to the computer.
- Launch the latest version of iTunes on the computer.
- Click the device icon on iTunes screen.
- Click on "Restore Backup" in the Summary pane.
Fix 9: Restore from iCloud backup
make sure that disappeared text messages on iPhone were backed up to iCloud, because all the data and settings on the iOS device will be erased before you are able to restore the iCloud backup.
- Go to "Settings" > "General" > "Reset" > "Erase all Contents and Settings" on your iPhone.
- Enter the passcode to confirm the resetting.
- The iphone will automatically restart and start the setup procedure.
- Follow the on-screen instructions until you see the "Restore from iCloud Backup" option. Click it.
- Sign in to iCloud and then choose one backup file to restore.
- My Pictures Disappeared from My iPhone. Here's the Full Fix
- How to Recover Deleted Contacts from iPhone 12/11/Xs Max/X/8/7
If you have tried all the above methods and you have not backed up your iPhone, it is suitable to choose a professional iPhone data recovery software now. Messages disappeared from iPhone but still in storage. As long as they are not overwritten by new data, it is possible to recover them successfully.
MobiKin Doctor for iOS is a smart iOS data recovery tool that can thoroughly scan your iOS device and find recoverable files. All you need to do is connect the iPhone to the computer. This tool can directly restore data from iPhone without a backup, or selectively restore data from iTunes backup, so as not to delete the existing data on the phone.
Doctor for iOS - your best iPhone SMS recovery software
- Retrieve deleted and lost text messages on iPhone without backup.
- Restore lost text messages from iTunes backup, without deleting data on your iPhone.
- Recover various data types like contacts, photos, videos, messages, call logs, WhatsApp data, notes, calendar, reminders, voice memos, etc.
- You can preview the iPhone data before recovery.
- Works well on almost all iOS devices, including iPhone 12/11/11 Pro (Max), iPhone X/XS/XR/XS Max, iPhone 8/8 Plus, iPhone 7/7 Plus, iPhone 6/6s/6 Plus, iPad Pro/Air/4/mini, and iPod touch.
How to retrieve missing text messages on iPhone without backup:
Step 1: Download and install this iPhone SMS recovery software on your computer. Launch it and you will get the following interface.
Step 2: Choose the "Recover from iOS Device" mode from the left sidebar and connect your iPhone to the computer via an Apple provided cable. Once connected, choose the data type like "Messages" and click "Start Scan".
Step 3: The program will begin to scan your iPhone for all recoverable text messages. After that, you can check out the details of the text conversations on the right side.
Step 4: Tick off the messages you want and click the "Recover to Computer" button from the bottom right. Then, all the selected text messages will be saved to your computer.
Doctor for iOS can also recover deleted iPhone text messages and SMS attachments from iTunes backup. Here is how:
Recover SMS from iTunes backup: Select "Recover from iTunes Backup File" mode > choose the backup file you want > Click "Start Scan" > Preview and choose the data you need > Click "Recover to Computer".
You may have accidentally deleted the Messages icon from your iPhone. In this case, you don't need to panic. You just deleted the icon on the main screen. The pre-installed messaging app cannot be deleted, and all text conversations will not disappear. You can restore the Messages icon to the home screen by following the steps below:
- Method 1: go to App Library, find the Messages icon and then drag it to the main screen.
- Method 2: go to "Settings" > "General" > "Reset" > "Reset Home Screen Layout" to restore the default settings of all apps.
The above are 10 effective solutions to the problem of "iPhone text messages disappeared". If you know the cause of the problem, you can choose the corresponding solution to solve it, which will improve your success rate and efficiency in solving the problem.
Please keep in mind that if you forget to back up your iPhone, you must try MobiKin Doctor for iOS, a tool that can directly restore deleted files from your device without a backup. Finally, in order to prevent this kind of incident from happening again, we still recommend that you back up your iPhone regularly.