How to Fix iMessages/Text Messages Not Sending on iOS Device?
Q: iMessage is not sending messages
"My iMessage is not sending or receiving messages. But my Wi-Fi is working and I can connect to the Internet. Any ideas about what I can do?" -- From Apple Forum
Some Apple users may have encountered the similar situation where they can not send the iMessages or text messages on their iPhone, iPad or iPod. Why is that? And how to fix iMessage/text messages not sending problem with effective ways? Just keep reading to learn more details.
iMessage, which is a totally free and popular messaging platform for iOS devices, is based on network connection to send and receive messages among iOS users just like SMS messager app. If iMessage does not send, you need to find out the possible reasons of it before trying to fix the issue.
1. Why iMessages Are Not Sending?
There are some likely factors to cause iMessages not sending as below:
- iMessages function has been disabled.
- Your iMessages account is disconnected.
- Your iDevice in under a poor network condition.
See Also: How to Fix iPhone Errors?
2. Solutions to Fix iMessages Not Sending
Solution 1. Reset Network Settings on iPhone/iPad/iPod
You can reset your device network to get rid of iMessages not sent problem. To do so, you can:
- Unlock your device and got to "Settings" > "General" > "Reset" > "Reset Network Settings" on your iPhone, iPad or iPod.
- Then you are required to enter your password to confirm your action and start to reset network settings on your device.
Please be noted that, after resetting the network settings, all the Wi-Fi network and passwords stored on your device will be erased, and you need to connect your device to Wi-Fi network again.
Solution 2. Turn Off/On iMessage Feature on Your iDevice
You can check if the iMessage feature is enabled on your device or not. To do so, you can:
- Unlock your device and go to "Settings" > "Messages" > "iMessage" on your device.
- If iMessage feature is disabled, just turn it on. If it has been enabled, please turn off it and then turn on it again to activate iMessage feature.
- After that, please tap "Send & Receive" option on the same page to check your Apple ID information. If needed, you can reset your iMessage account here.
Solution 3. Restart Your Device to Fix iMessage Not Sending
You can also reboot your iPhone or iPad to get rid of the problem. To do so, you can:
- Press and hold the Home and Power buttons at the same time for a few seconds to bring out the Apple logo on the screen, then release the two buttons.
- After the screen is completely black, you can press the Power button again to turn on the device. Then you can check if the problem has been fixed or not.
If you are having the text messages not sending problem, to fix this problem, please make sure your device is on the following situation, including:
- iPhone has a good network connection;
- The SMS/MMS settings on your device are correct;
- Your iOS device is not on the Airplane Mode;
- The phone number you sent is not out of carrier services;
- Your iDevice is running the latest iOS version.
If your device satisfy all of the above criteria, but your device still can't send text messages, then you are required to restore your device. Before restoring your iPhone, please backup your device with iTunes or iCloud, or transfer data to computer for backup in case of data lost.
Steps to Restore Your Phone with iTunes to Fix Text Messages Not Sending:
Step 1. Launch iTunes on your computer and link your iPhone to PC with USB cable. Please make sure you have installed the latest iTunes on your computer.
Step 2. Click the iPhone icon on the left top of iTunes window, then hit "Restore iPhone..." option on the right panel.
Step 3. Then you might select the desired iTunes backup when it pops up a window, then hit "Restore" button to start to restore your device and fix text messages not sending.
Finishing the whole process, you can check if you can send iMessages or text messages as normally as usual. Besides, if you unluckily lose some important data, you can recover the deleted or lost data from iOS device here.