How to Transfer Music from iPad to Computer?
Q: My sister bought a new iPad Pro a month ago and downloaded all her music from the computer to this new iPad with my help. But just yesterday, when she decided to clean up the computer because of too many junk files on it, she accidentally deleted all the music files. So she wanted to back up the music on the iPad Pro to the computer again. I don't know how to do it now. Does anyone know a shortcut to how to transfer music from iPad to computer?
We all know that iPad is one of the most outstanding products of Apple, possessed by many people around the world. And there are also lots of situations will result in moving music or other files from your iDevice to computer. For example, you might have captured new music files with iPad and want to enjoy these music files on computer, or get a new device and desire to copy all your favorite songs onto the new one from the old one via desktop computer... Thus, it is not an unique phenomenon for iPad users to meet the situation above. So is it a way to copy music from iPad to computer easily?
The answer is absolutely YES. So, here this article provides 5 ways to help you copy songs from your iPod to PC or Mac.
- Method 1: How to Transfer Music from iPad to Computer with One Click [Easiest!]
- Method 2: How to Transfer Music from iPad to Computer with iTunes
- Method 3: How to Copy Music from iPad to Computer with iCloud
- Method 4: How to Transfer Songs from iPad to Computer Using Dropbox
- Method 5: How to Move Music from iPad to PC via Windows Explorer
Third party software has created effective ways for transferring music from iPad to computer. Among hundreds of thousands of similar iPad music transfer software, I highly recommend you try the MobiKin Assistant for iOS (with its Mac version), which can fully satisfy your needs. A 2-minute simple job can copy part or even your entire music library from your iPad to computer, no headaches and no hassles.
Why choose Assistant for iOS to copy music from iPad to computer?
- In addition to music, it also allows you to transfer Video, Photo, eBook, Contacts, Text Messages, Notes, Safari Bookmarks, Voice Memo, Podcast, Ringtone, Playlist and more from iPad devices to your computer.
- Back up iPad data to computer and restore it back with one click.
- Import iTunes backups from PC to your device, or delete any unwanted iTunes backups from your PC.
- Fully compatible with iPad Pro, iPad Air, iPad 4, iPad mini, the new iPad, iPad 2, etc. as well as all generations of iPhone and iPod.
- It is a powerful yet easy to use music transfer tool for iPad devices.
Below is a step by step guide on how to perform this iPad Music Transfer to transfer music from iPad to computer easily. You can follow the below instructions to handle the tool as you like. Before that, you should click the following button to get it downloaded.
3 Simple Steps to Copy Music from iPad to Computer Using Assistant for iOS
To begin with, you should download, install and run the transfer tool on the computer. Then, connect your iPad Pro, iPad Air, the new iPad, iPad 2/4 to the computer with a USB cable. You will see an interface like below after a few seconds of device detection.
Next, you can choose the target music you want to backup to computer. Here you have two ways to copy songs from iPad device to a computer.
- Go to the "Music" option from the left file list of your iPad and all your stored songs will be shown in the right panel. Just click the small box before the music you want to copy.
- Click the box at the top, which is in front of "name", to select the whole music files at one time.
Finally, just click the button of "Export" to back up all selected songs to your computer.
Warm Tips: If you perform the transferring work as we show you above, you are suggested to click "File -> Open Export Folder" to locate the files you've copied to the computer because the software will restore your selected songs to the default folder as it was installed. While you have the need to move music to a certain file folder on your computer, before you start copying music from your device go to "Advanced -> Options" to change the export folder.
Done! If you have an iPad device, this software is a must-have utility to help you to move your favorite songs to PC without restrictions. Now download the software to check it out.
- How to Transfer Music from iPod to iTunes Library?
- iPod Won't Sync with iTunes? 10 Easy Solutions to Fix It!
It is possible to use iTunes to transfer music files from your iPad to computer. The operation is easy. However, it doesn't support any third party music app which means you cannot move any non-purchased music to computer using this method. That's why people prefer to seek for ways on how to transfer music from iPad to computer without iTunes.
- This method only allows you to copy songs purchased from iTunes. Therefore, if you need to transfer music that are not purchased from iTunes, you have to switch to other methods mentioned in this article.
Step 1: Make sure you have installed the latest version of iTunes on your PC or Mac.
Step 2: Connect your iPad to your computer via a USB cable. If it is your first time to connect the iPad to the computer, you will be asked whether you trust the computer. Just tap on "Trust" to allow its access to content on your iPad.
Step 3: From the main interface of iTunes, click File > Device > Transfer Purchases from 'your iPad name'. Then, iTunes will start to transfer these purchased music files from your iPad to iTunes.
Step 4: After all the music files are synced to iTunes, go to the left side of the iTunes window to choose the "Recently Added" option, and you will see all the songs you have uploaded.
- Select the purchased music that you want to save and click the "Download" button to copy them to your computer.
- If you don't see the Download button, you can right-click on the music, select "Show in Windows Explorer" on Windows or "Show in Finder" on Mac to open the directory where your music files are located.
Using iCloud to extract music from iPad to computer will be more reliable than using iTunes, because as long as you open iCloud music library on both iPad and computer, all songs and playlists will be synchronized to iTunes. (Will You Backup iOS Files with iCloud or iTunes?) However, it also has some disadvantages:
- It requires you to sign in using the same Apple ID that you use for Apple Music Subscription.
- The transmission process is slow.
- Once you close iCloud media library, the downloaded content will be deleted.
Step 1: Turn on iCloud Music Library on your iPad
- Turn on your iPad and go to Settings > Music.
- Toggle on the option of iCloud Music Library.
- You will be asked if you want to keep the music of your iPad. If you choose to keep music, then all music files on your iPad will be uploaded to iCloud Music Library. If you choose "Delete & Replace", then all the music files on your iPad will be replaced with the content of iCloud Music Library.
Step 2: Turn on iCloud Music Library on computer
- On PC: Run iTunes on your PC, choose Edit > Preferences from the top menu bar of the iTunes screen. On Mac: Run iTunes on your Mac, choose iTunes > Preferences from the top menu bar of the iTunes screen.
- Choose the tab of "General", tick "iCloud Music Library" and then click "OK". Then, your music from iCloud Music Library will be uploaded to iTunes.
Step 3: Export music from iTunes to computer
Now, you can go to "\Libraries\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music" to find the folder that contains all the music you need. Just drag and drop the folder to your computer.
You can also transfer music from iPad to computer free by using Dropbox. But first you need to install Dropbox on both iPad and computer. Here are the detailed steps.
- You need to install Dropbox on both the iPad and the computer.
- You need to register a Dropbox account.
- Dropbox only gives you 2GB of free cloud storage space to store your important data online.
Step 1. Install and launch Dropbox on iPad, then log in to your account. If you do not have an account, you need to click "I don't have an account" to register an account.
Step 2. Upload songs to the Dropbox folder on the iPad.
Step 3. Install and run Dropbox on the computer, then go to the Dropbox folder. For example: Computer > C > Users > Your Name > Dropbox > My Data
Step 4. Open the "Music" folder, select the songs you want, and then move them to the computer.
You can also follow the steps above to move other files on the iPad, such as documents, videos, and pictures to your computer.
Above we introduced four different methods on how to download music from ipad to computer. What they have in common is that they all need tools. So, is there an easy way to transfer music from the iPad directly to the computer? Of course! The following method does not require you to install any software. Now, let's take a look.
- Only transfer multimedia files. (See how to transfer videos from iPad to computer here.)
- Difficult navigation, it takes time to find what you want.
Step 1. Connect your iPad to your computer via a USB cable
First, use a USB cable to connect your iPad to the computer. After the connection is successful, go to "Computer" and you will see "My iPad" appears, then double-click to open it.
Step 2. Find the iPad music folder on computer
Enter the iPad folder in the Windows file browser, go to the top menu to choose "View" > Check the box of "Hidden items". Then, double-click on "iPod _Control" folder and then choose "Music".
Step 3. Transfer songs from iPad to computer
Find the music files you need and copy them to another local folder on PC.
Tip: Above operations are based on the Windows PC. If you are using a Mac, you can also use similar operations to transfer music from iPad to Mac.
The above are all methods for transferring music from iPad to computer. After importing music to computer, you can enjoy the music library directly on your computer or share it with your friends and family. Comprehensive comparison, MobiKin Assistant for iOS is your best choice, it can not only get music from iPad to computer, but also supports almost all other iPad file types. It is simple to use and extremely powerful. I hope this article can help you. If you have any questions or feel that this article has helped you, please let us know at the bottom of this page.