iPod Won't Sync with iTunes? 10 Easy Solutions to Fix It!
For backup, users often sync their iPod data to iTunes. However, the syncing process doesn't always go smoothly and sometimes iPod won't sync with iTunes. And when the iPod not syncing problem appears, you must wonder if there is any way to solve it, right?
You can also click to learn:
- How to Transfer Contacts from iPhone to PC?
- How to Transfer SMS (Text Messages) from iPhone to Computer?
iPod won't sync is not a rare problem actually so there are many solutions available for you to fix the issue. But before using these methods to solve the problem, you'd better figure out the reasons for this issue. This can help you get rid of the trouble more easily.
Why Does iPod not Sync with iTunes?
In fact, the iPod not syncing with iTunes issue can be caused by many reasons so correspondingly, its solutions are also various. Hence, if possible, you are strongly recommended to find out the cause for the issue in advance, which will make you settle the issue more quickly.
The possible reasons for iPod not syncing:
- USB cable or USB port is broken or unavailable.
- The connection between iPod and iTunes/computer is unstable.
- The version of your iPod operating system or iTunes is outdated.
- You have not authorized your iTunes or computer.
- You have turned on "iCloud Music Library" or "Sync Apple Music".
Maybe you also interested in:
- 5 Free Ways to Transfer Files from PC to iPad: Complete Guide
- iTunes Could Not Connect to This iPhone? How to Fix
10 Easy Ways to Fix iPod Won't Sync Issue
Here are 10 easy and intuitive methods to fix iPod will not sync issue for your reference:
Method 1. Restart Your iPod, Computer and iTunes
The easiest way is to restart your program and devices, including iPod, computer and iTunes. To complete that, you need to close iTunes and then power off your computer and iPod. After that, you can power on your iPod and computer and go on to launch iTunes. Then you can check if your iPod sync to iTunes normally.
Method 2. Try to Connect via Other USB Cords & Ports
It is possible that the USB cord or USB port you used is broken or unavailable. Hence, when you fail to sync iPod to iTunes, you can also attempt to use other USB cables or USB ports.
Method 3. Sync iPod Data via Wi-Fi
For the users who have connected their iPods to iTunes via USB cable but failed to sync the files, you can first reconnect iTunes and iPod via USB cable and check if the syncing process goes smoothly. If not, then you can try to sync your iPod data via Wi-Fi. Here is how:
- Choose "Summary" in iTunes on your computer, and tick off the option "Sync with this iPod over WiFi".
- Then go to your iPod and click on "Settings" > "General" > "iTunes Wi-Fi Sync" > "Sync now".
Method 4. Ensure the Versions of iTunes and iPod OS are Update to Date
The syncing process would be affected by the iTunes version or iPod OS version also. Therefore, when your iPod fails to sync, you can go to check if the version of your iPod's operating system and iTunes are both the latest. If not, you should update the software or device at first. To achieve this goal, you can:
- Update iTunes version: open iTunes > Choose "Help" > "Check for Updates". If there is an update available, you need to follow the on-screen prompts to properly install the latest iTunes.
- Update iPod OS version: go to "Settings" > "General" > "Software Update" to see if there is any update available. If there is, just click on it and follow the prompts on the screen to update the operating system of your iPod.
Method 5. Reauthorize Your iTunes & Computer
To successfully sync files from iPod, iPad or iPhone to computer or iTunes, you need to first authorize the device then you have the right to copy the files. So to fix the iPod not syncing issue, you are also suggested to reauthorize your iTunes as well as computer. This is easy to accomplish:
- Launch iTunes on your computer and connect your iPod to the PC through a USB cable.
- Click on the option "Account" > "Authorizations" > "Deauthorize This Computer" from the menu. (Skip this step if your computer is already deauthorized.)
- Once again, tap on the "Account" option from the top menu and choose "Authorizations" > "Authorize This Computer" this time.
- Enter your Apple ID and passcode and select "Authorize" to reauthorize your computer.
Method 6. Disable "iCloud Music Library" & "Show Apple Music"
There is one more thing you need to check if your iPod Touch, iPod classic, etc. won't sync - the "iCloud Music Library" and "Show Apple Music" feature on your device should be turned off.
1. Turn off "iCloud Music Library"
- On iPod: Navigate to "Settings" > "Music" > disable "iCloud Music Library".
- On iTunes: Tap on "Edit" > "Preferences" > "General" > uncheck "iCloud Music Library" > "OK".
2. Turn off "Show Apple Music"
- On iPod: Go to "Settings" > "Music" > "Show Apple Music" and turn it off.
- On iTunes: Choose "Edit" > "Preferences" > "General" > disable "Show Apple Music" > "OK".
Method 7. Run iTunes as Administrator (Windows)
Another way you can try to fix the iPod not syncing issue is to run your iTunes in Administrative mode. To complete that, what you need to do is just to right-click the shortcut of iTunes on your computer and choose "Properties" > "Compatibility" > check the option "Run this program as an administrator" > "Apply".
Method 8. Sync iPod with iTunes Manually
Supposed that you always fail to sync iPod to iTunes automatically, then you can try to copy the files manually. The detailed tutorial is as below:
- Connect your iPod to computer via USB cable.
- Run iTunes on the computer and tap on the device icon.
- Choose "Summary" > check the "Manually manage music and videos" under the "Options" section > "Apply".
- Click on the "Music", "Movie", "TV Show" or other categories containing the files you want to sync and then drag the wanted files to your iPod.
Method 9. Reset and Restore iPod
One of the most powerful ways to solve the problem that iPod cannot sync is to reset or restore the device. This will reset your device to default settings so the success rate of syncing will be improved then. However, this will also erase all the data saved on your device. Hence, if you have stored any important files in your iPod, you need to make a backup before start the resetting process.
Then you can begin to restore your device without worrying about the data loss. The steps are as follows:
- Unlock your iPod.
- Tap on "Settings" > "General" > "Erase All Content and Settings".
- Once the resetting process completed, you can restore your iPod with the backup files and then go to see if your iPod syncs normally.
Method 10. Try to Sync iPod without iTunes
All the methods above cannot work? Why not try to sync your iPod to computer without iTunes? This is also a good way to back up your files. To achieve this goal, you can turn to the MobiKin Assistant for iOS software. This professional iPod data transfer program is good at transferring files from iOS device to computer - only several clicks can you easily complete the transfer. And except for that, you are able to manage your files with the tool as well.
Are you interested in this helpful tool? If you are, don't hesitate to download and install it by clicking the icon below.
You may also want to know:
- How to Transfer Large Videos from iPhone to PC? (5 Ways Included)
- 5 Ways to Backup WhatsApp on iPhone Effectively
Method 11. Upgrade computer operating system
Finally, we share a successful experience provided by a netizen to us. If none of the above methods solve your problem, it is recommended that you update your computer operating system to the latest version. Because maybe the root of the problem is that the latest version of iTunes is not compatible with older versions of computer OS.
That's how to fix iPod won't sync with iTunes. As you can see, there are so many ways you can try to solve the problem. However, if you think it is too tiring to try the solutions one by one, you can directly jump to the Method 10 - use MobiKin Assistant for iOS to sync iPod to computer without iTunes. By using this way, you are capable of backing up your iPod files with ease as well.
iPhone Music Transfer: How to Transfer Music from iPhone to Computer Freely?
How to Transfer Photos from iPhone to Computer/PC?
How to Transfer Contacts from Computer to iPhone?
How to Share Music on iPhone? (4 Simple Ways Included)
6 Ways to Transfer Photos from Computer to iPhone Effectively