How to Backup iPhone to MacBook Pro/Air, iMac, Mac Pro, etc.?
Backing up your iPhone to your computer on a regular basis is definitely a good habit, as this is the best way to prevent iPhone data loss. You can choose to save the files that you think are important, including photos, contact lists, videos, messages, etc., locally. Earlier we introduced how to backup iPhone to PC. Now, there may be many Mac users who are looking for a simple and correct way to backup iPhone to Mac. Fortunately, you have come to the right place. Here we will introduce some effective solutions for you.
This article will show you how to backup iPhone to MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, iMac in four ways: using iTunes, iCloud, Airdrop or more professional iPhone management software. Please read them one by one and choose the method that suits you best.
Mobikin Assistant for iOS (Mac Version) is the most ideal tool for you to back up iPhone data on Mac. It allows you to backup your whole iPhone to Mac computer with one click, or you can also choose particular files for backup and access them on your Mac for further use. With this powerful program, you can keep a backup of sensitive iPhone data rather than other unwanted iPhone data on Mac.
List of the main features of Assistant for iOS:
- Back up your iPhone to your Mac without any limitation and enables you to backup iPhone data selectively.
- Provides you with Preview feature that allows you to view the files before backup so that you can make an accurate backup.
- Back up iPhone contacts, text messages, music, movie, books, playlist, etc. to Mac easily;
- All models of iPhone are supported by this program well, including iPhone 11/11 Pro/11 Pro Max, iPhone Xs/Xs Max/XR/X, iPhone 9/9 Plus, iPhone 8/8 Plus, iPhone 7/7 Plus, etc.;
- Support to restore the backup file back to your iPhone without any data loss.
- It also comes with Windows version: MobiKin Assistant for iOS.
How Do I Backup My iPhone to My Mac with Assistant for iOS (Mac)?
To learn how to backup iPhone to MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, iMac, Mac Pro, etc. by using Assistant for iOS, you have to download the Mac program on your Mac machine first. Once installed properly, you can follow the steps in the below:
Step 1:Connect your iPhone to Mac
Use a USB cable to connect your iPhone to the Mac where the Assistant for iOS installed. Once connected successfully, the software will detect the connected iPhone and the main interface of the program should be displayed as below.
* Remember to tap on "Trust" on your iPhone to make your iPhone be recognized by the program.
Step 2: Select your target files
All types of your iPhone data will be shown as different category in the folder on the left side bar, including "Info" like "Contacts", "Messages", "Notes", "Calendars", "Bookmarks", "Media" like "Music", "Videos", "Photos", "Books" and "Apps". Click on the file types you want to backup and the program will scan all the data types you have chosen.
Step 3: How to backup iPhone to iMac/MacBook
Preview the scanned out files and tick off those you want to backup, then, click on "Export" on the top menu to transfer them to Mac. Choose a folder on your Mac where you would like to save the transferred files and then you just wait until the process is finished.
Download and install Mobikin Assistant for iOS now to back up the important data on your iPhone to Mac or PC.
Check If You Need:
- 3 Best Ways to Backup and Restore iPhone (#3 is Excellent)
- How to Share Music on iPhone? (4 Simple Ways Included)
iTunes is the official tool from Apple Inc. for managing and transferring iOS data. It is also a free application for playing music, videos, and other digital media. You can use it to easily transfer iPhone, iPad and iPod data to Mac or PC, but you need to be aware that iTunes cannot backup the following content:
1. Music and apps in iTunes and App Store;
2. Content synced from iTunes, such as imported photos, MP3 or CD, and videos;
3. Photos synced to iCloud Photo Library and My Photo Stream.
How to Use iTunes to backup iPhone/iPad to Mac:
Step 1: Launch iTunes on your Mac computer or laptop.
Step 2: Connect your iPhone to your Mac via a USB cable and iTunes will detect your iPhone device automatically.
Step 3: Click on the iPhone icon located on the upper left side of the iTunes window to check your files on your iPhone.
Step 4: If you want to encrypt your iPhone backup, you can tick off the "Encrypt iPhone backup" option. Then, only the encrypted backup will include the Health and Activity data from your iPhone.
Step 5: Finally, you can click on "Back Up Now" button to start to back up your iPhone to Mac.
See? It is very simple to back up iPhone to Mac via iTunes, but it doesn't allow you to select what you really want to backup. That's the reason why people want an iTunes alternative tool that can help them back up iPhone data selectively.
AirDrop allows you to share content from your iPhone to one or more Mac OS computers, or import files from your computer to your iPhone. It supports the transfer of multiple file types including applications, photos, contacts, videos, Passbook passes, voice memos, map locations, and everything else shown on the "Share" sheet. Here are the detailed steps on how to backup iPhone to Mac laptop/computer using AirDrop:
Step 1: Turn on AirDrop on your iPhone and Mac
Turn on WiFi on your Mac. Then, turn to your iPhone, swipe up from the bottom of your iPhone screen to open Control Panel. Long press the wireless panel and tap on "AirDrop".
Using Finder to search your AirDrop program on your Mac. Remember to turn on your Bluetooth and Wi-Fi to turn on AirDrop on your Mac.
Step 2: Back up iPhone data to Mac via AirDrop
Find the files that you want to transfer from iPhone. Here setting the photos as an example: Open the Photos app on your iPhone, select the photos you want to transfer from your iPhone to your Mac and tap the share icon on the bottom left. Tap the icon represents your Mac in the AirDrop section and the transferring process will start immediately.
After the transferring task is done, you can go to the Download folder on your Mac to check the transferred iPhone files.
Check If You Need:
- How to Transfer Photos from iPhone to Laptop? 4 Solutions for You!
- Top 4 Ways on How to Transfer Photos from Laptop to iPhone
You can also use iCloud to backup iPhone to MacBook/MacBook Pro/MacBook Air/iMac. Just follow the steps below to get it done.
Step 1: Sync data from iPhone to iCloud
- Unlock your iPhone and go to Settings > [Apple ID] > iCloud. Choose the iCloud Backup option to enter the iCloud Backup screen.
- Toggle on the iCloud Backup option from the iCloud Backup screen.
- Once your iPhone is plugged in, locked and connected to WiFi, an automatic backup will be created automatically.
- You can also click on Back Up Now option to archive iPhone data manually.
Step 2: Check the backed-up files on Mac
- Launch Finder on your Mac.
- Choose iCloud Drive from the sidebar of the Finder window and you can see a few sub-folders are displayed here.
- Just double-click on these folders to check the backed-up iPhone files.
If you have doubts about how to backup iPhone to Mac at first, then after reading this article, I believe that you must have some ideas about how to back up iPhone. Although we have shown you four different ways to copy iPhone data to Mac, the best and most direct solution is to use MobiKin Assistant for iOS (Mac). It's considered to be the best iTunes alternative to make backing up iPhone data over to Mac an easy task without running into many technical problems. Have you used any other good methods? Welcome to share with us in the comments section.