How to Fix Restore from iCloud Paused in 12 Reliable Ways? [SOLVED]
"I upgraded my iCloud storage to 200GB from 50GB, and now my photo album says, "Restore from iCloud Paused". So I have just a few images in my Library, and I don't know what to do. Can anybody help me, please?" -- from Apple Support Community
iCloud, available on iPhones, iPads, Apple Watches, and Macs, makes it easy to sync settings and files from one Apple device to another. After an iCloud backup is made, you may have to restore your iPhone from it at a pinch. However, "restore from iCloud backup failed" arises unexpectedly at times.
OK, why is my restore from iCloud paused? How can I restore my device from the backup content smoothly? Well, check out this page to learn the possible reasons and reliable fixes now.
Part 1: Why Is My iPhone Stuck Restoring from iCloud
What does restore from iCloud paused mean? Personally, I don't think there's much point in trying to figure that out. Instead, let us explore the underlying roots of this phenomenon. Generally, there are a couple of causes contributing to "why won't my iPhone restore from iCloud". And here are the main ones:
- Poor network connection.
- iPhone or iCloud is running out of memory.
- iOS has not been updated.
- iCloud Photos is enabled.
- Some glitches or bugs in your iCloud backup or iCloud account.
- Something is wrong with the iCloud system status.
You Might Also Like:
- 6 Common Methods to Access iCloud from Android Phones/Tablets
- Where Is My iPhone Backup Stored? A Detailed Guide You Should Never Miss
Part 2: Fix "Restore from iCloud Paused" in 11 Ways
Way 1: Inspect Wi-Fi Connection
Apple doesn't allow an iCloud backup restoration through cellular data. So, to ensure your iPhone is working with a smooth Wi-Fi network. If the going gets tough, try to restart your router or reconnect to another network to fix iPhone restore in progress stuck.
Way 2: Resign into iCloud
iCloud restore stuck may arise from some glitches in iCloud; try to log out and log back in to iCloud again:
- Go to your iPhone's "Settings" and click the iCloud account.
- Scroll down to find and choose "Sign Out". (How to sign out of iCloud without a password?)
- Enter your password to confirm the action as prompted.
- After that, you will be redirected to the Settings page and tap on Sign in to your iPhone at the top to sign in to your account.
Way 3: Charge Your iPhone
iCloud restoring stuck might be well dealt with when you charge your iPhone with a charging cable and power outlet or just make it with a wireless charger.
Way 4: Check iCloud Storage
If the restore from iCloud is not working or paused due to not enough storage, go to the iCloud storage management section to check it. Here's the guide:
- Tap your iCloud account when you open the "Settings" app.
- Select "iCloud" > "iCloud Storage" > "Manage Storage".
- Check how much of the storage is left. If there's not enough iCloud storage, clear up the space or purchase more.
Way 5: Ensure There's Enough Space on iPhone
Likewise, restoring from iCloud stuck often happens if your iPhone is running out of space. Check out the easy steps to see if that's the case:
- Tap your iPhone's "Settings" > "General" > "iPhone Storage".
- Assuming it is at near capacity, you can click "Offload App" or "Delete App" as required.
- Photos Didn't Transfer to New iPhone 14/13/12? Reasons & Awesome Solutions
- iCloud DNS Bypass Full Guide: Unlock iPhone/iPad Activation Lock
Way 6: Verify If You Set Up iCloud Photos
Instead of thinking about how to restart iCloud restore, please make sure you have enabled iCloud Photos on your iPhone. In doing so, you cannot restore your phone's original data but just the thumbnails of images. Thus, disabling the feature might help get rid of the thorny issue.
Way 7: Restart iPhone and Restore the Backup Again
- Press and hold the "Volume" and "Power" buttons.
- Keep holding them until the power-off slider appears.
- Drag it to the right side to turn off your iPhone.
- After a short while, press the "Power" button to turn it in again.
- Navigate to your iPhone's "Settings" > "General" > "Reset".
- Press "Erase All Content and Settings" > set up your iPhone > press "Restore from iCloud Backup".
- Pick an iCloud backup to restore your iPhone to see if the iPhone/iPad restore from iCloud stuck persists.
Way 8: Check iOS for an Update
To work out how to finish restoring iPhone from iCloud backup, you're advised to make sure your iPhone is running with the latest version of iOS. Check the system info and update it when required:
- Head to your phone's "Settings" app.
- Go for "General" > "Software Updates".
- If there's a new iOS update available, tap "Download and Install" for iOS update.
Way 9: Restore from Another iCloud Backup
For example, when a new iPhone is stuck on restore from iCloud, check to see if it completes with another iCloud backup, let's say, your family's. With this method, you can find out whether there is a problem with your account or the backup itself.
Way 10: Check iCloud System Status
Go to Apple's System Status page. Next, make sure the iCloud backup, Apple ID, and iCloud account are working properly. Then wait for some time to let the Apple server repair itself. Chances are that the iPhone restore from iCloud stuck will disappear soon.
Way 11: Hard Reset iPhone
A hard reset or force restart triggers a mechanism to repair minor bugs on the system and potentially fix "how to unpause iCloud restore". Here, follow the details to get it done well:
- For iPhone 8 and newer, press and release the "Volume Up" button; press and quickly release "Volume Down"; do the same on "Side" (or "Sleep"/"Wake"); you'll find the iPhone boot up with the Apple logo displayed.
- For iPhone 7/7 Plus, press and hold down "Sleep"/"Wake" and "Volume Down"; let go of the buttons when the Apple logo comes out.
- For iPhone 6 or older, press and hold down "Sleep"/"Wake" and "Home" simultaneously; let go of all buttons when you see the conspicuous Apple logo.
Part 3: An Alternative Tool to Restore iPhone from iCloud Selectively
Is this question still holding you back? Do you want to restore your iPhone from iCloud selectively and seamlessly? Well, don't forget to give iPhone Data Recovery a shot. As one of the most prominent file recovery tools for iPhone/iPad/iPod touch, this utility does well in restoring various iOS items with or even without a backup. For detailed features, please check out the list below.
Main characteristics of iPhone Data Recovery:
- Selectively restore the iPhone from iCloud backup without losing data.
- Flexibly restore an iPhone from iTunes backup without overwriting your device content.
- The supported data types: Contacts, messages, call history, voice memos, WhatsApp conversations, notes, photos, calendars, bookmarks, and more.
- Recover deleted/lost data from iPhone without backup.
- Let you preview and pick your wanted files for recovery.
- Apply to a whole range of iOS devices, covering iPhone 14/14 Plus/14 Pro (Max), iPhone 13/13 Pro (Max)/13 mini/12/12 Pro (Max)/12 mini, iPhone 11/11 Pro/11 Pro Max, iPhone X/XR/Xs/Xs Max, iPhone 8/8 Plus, iPhone 7/7 Plus, iPhone 6/6S/6 Plus, iPod touch, iPad, etc.
- It won't divulge your privacy.
How to use iPhone Data Recovery to restore iPhone from iCloud smoothly?
Step 1. Start the software on a computer after the download and installation. Go for "Recover from iCloud Backup File" from its interface. Then, log in to iCloud with your Apple ID and passcode.
Step 2. You'll see the iCloud backup files on the incoming screen. Next, select your required iCloud backup file and tap on the "Download" sign to download data from iCloud.
Step 3. Once you see all the backup files, view and choose specific files to restore. At last, press "Recover" to save them onto your computer.
Calling It a Wrap
Today, we explored how to fix restore from iCloud paused. Obviously, none of these fixes will allow iCloud to restore its backup seamlessly anytime soon. Nevertheless, as an exception, iPhone Data Recovery, the best iCloud alternative, is your best reliance. No matter which recovery mode you use on it, you will be pleasantly surprised afterward. Finally, please share this post on social media if you find it recommendable.
10 Methods to Troubleshoot Downloading Messages from iCloud Stuck
4 Ways to Transfer Data from iCloud to Samsung Galaxy/Android
How to Restore iPad from iPhone Backup? 3 Worry-free Options Here
8 Productive Ways to Fix iTunes Stuck on Preparing iPhone for Restore
How to Fix iPhone/iCloud Photos Not Showing Up on Mac? [Ways Most People Don't Know]
WhatsApp Downloaded Failed? Here Are 20 Solutions to Fix It!