[Tips and Tricks] How to Transfer HEIC Photos from iPhone to PC
"After connecting my iPhone 12 to my PC computer with the lightning cable, it is not able to drag HEIC photo files from iPhone "Internal Storage" to PC. Any tips would be appreciated." -- from Apple Support Communities
A change to photo format in iOS 11 and later called HEIC doesn't play well with a Windows computer. If you are to back up HEIC images instead of the typical JPG/JPEG extension with a thumbnail preview to a PC or for further handling, the first thing is to work out how to transfer HEIC from iPhone to PC smartly. Well, this article will cover the methods to transfer and some related tips.
1. What Is HEIC?
What is HEIC? HEIC, standing for High Efficiency Image, is a file extension that holds HEIF images, newly introduced by Apple in June 2017. Featuring higher compression, HEIC photos are encoded in a smaller size (compared with JPG) while delivering better quality for capturing extended color range to increase image accuracy.
2. Which Devices Support HEIC?
HEIF files are available for Apple devices running iOS 11 or later and Mac computers with macOS High Sierra and later. Plus, they can be viewed via Apple Preview, Apple Live Photos, and iOS Photos.
3. How to Transfer HEIC to JPG on PC
Currently, the most obvious defect of the HEIC format is its lack of compatibility with overall systems and devices. So, many wonder how to convert it into JPG/JPEG format after copying it to a PC. To make it, don't miss the best HEIC converter - MobiKin HEIC to JPG Converter here.
4. How to Stop iPhone/iPad from Taking HEIC Photos
- Go to iDevice's Settings > Camera > Formats.
- Select Most Compatible.
Your devices will then keep new images/videos you take in JPEG and H.264 formats. And you can easily transfer them to a computer or use them in a range of apps.
You May Need:
- HEIC Viewer for Windows PC and Android
- How to Transfer Photos from iPhone to iPhone 13/12/11/Xs/Xs Max/X?
Is there any program that can transfer HEIC photos in different folders on my iPhone? Can I preview HEIC directly on my computer and easily select them for quick transfer? Well, those are what MobiKin Assistant for iOS (Win and Mac) does. As a standout iPhone assistant, it helps transfer iOS content among different platforms and well organize your data on a computer.
Why choose Assistant for iOS:
- Transfer HEIC photos from iPhone to PC conveniently.
- Work for 14+ types of data, including Photos, Video, Song, eBook, Contacts, Text Messages, Notes, Safari Bookmarks, Voice Memo, Podcast, Ringtone, Playlist, etc.
- Copy data from iPhone/iPad/iPod to PC/Mac and vice versa.
- Back up & restore data between iDevice and computer/iTunes.
- Manage iOS content on a computer directly.
- Compatible with overall iOS devices, including iPhone 14 Pro/14/13/13 Pro (Max)/13 mini/12/12 Pro (Max)/12 mini, iPhone 11/11 Pro/11 Pro Max, iPhone X/XR/Xs/Xs Max, iPhone 8/8 Plus, iPhone 7/7 Plus, iPhone 6/6S/6 Plus, iPods, iPads, etc.
- It won't unveil your privacy.
How to get HEIC photos off iPhone with Assistant for iOS?
Step 1. Launch Assistant for iOS on a computer
Launch the software and connect your iPhone to a computer via a USB cable. Wait until it detects the iPhone, and you'll see an interface like below:
Step 2. Preview and choose your wanted HEIC photos
All the supported iPhone data are displayed on the left side menu. You need to choose "Photos" from the left menu. Then preview and select HEIC you wish to transfer.
Step 3. Transfer HEIC from iPhone to PC
Click the "Export" button from the top screen and select a location on this computer to start the HEIC transfer from iPhone to PC.
Video guide on how to transfer HEIC photos from iPhone to PC:
Those who enable iCloud Photo Library can easily download the HEIC photos directly from the iCloud website. Yet, you won't be allowed to select a great many photos from the Library all at once.
How to export HEIC from an iPhone to a computer through iCloud?
- On your iPhone, go to its Settings > iCloud > Photos > enable iCloud Photo Library and My Photo Stream.
- This will upload your iOS photos to iCloud automatically. (Can't export iPhone photos with iCloud Photo Library enabled?)
- On your computer, enter your iCloud credential and choose the HEIC you want to get.
- Then tap Download on the upper right corner of the page to move the pictures to this PC.
For some iPhone versions, please go to Settings > Photos > enable "iCloud Photo Library" to upload photos to iCloud.
Check if You Like:
- Full Comparison between HEIC vs. JPEG: Which is Better?
- iPhone Photo Recovery: How to Recover Permanently Deleted Photos on iPhone
If you just need to transfer HEIC pictures from the DCIM folder, File Explorer/Windows Explorer is able to do you a favor. And please note that accidentally deleting your photos via File Explorer will not remove the items from your iPhone as well.
Here's how to transfer HEIC from iPhone to PC via File Explorer?
- Connect your iPhone to your PC via a USB cable. Allow the iPhone to connect to this PC by entering a passcode if prompted.
- Open File Explorer by pressing the Windows "Key + E" at the same time.
- Click "This PC" from the sidebar, and you will see your iPhone under Devices and Drives. (If your PC is running Win 7, open Windows Explorer instead, and then choose "My Computer".)
- Double-click on the icon of your iPhone's name.
- Then go to Internal Storage > DCIM > 100APPLE.
- Find the folders that include the HEIC photos you want to import.
- Finally, copy the photos to the location you wish to keep them.
Finally, we hope the methods above can help you transfer HEIC from iPhone to PC at length. To achieve a safe, smooth, and efficient photo transfer, MobiKin Assistant for iOS is obviously your top pick. And after the migration, you can covert the HEIF (.heic) to JPG/PNG/JPEG on your PC with the approach said in Part 1 if you want to open the pictures or do something further.