iPad Won't Unlock? 9 Solutions to Fix iPad Slide to Unlock Not Working
"My iPad Pro has been working fine all day until 20 minutes ago. When I unlocked it, it didn't let me swipe up. The screen is responsive, but my iPad won't unlock. Has anyone else experienced this and found a solution?" -- from Apple Support Communities
The iPad screen won't unlock somehow. Several causes might be responsible for this phenomenon. Here are the possible reasons for unresponsive iPad lock screen:
- Your iPad is running an outdated OS.
- There's static electricity on the iPad.
- Your iPad screen is dirt, damp, or even crashed.
- You leave your iPad locked for a long period of time.
So, how can we resolve iPad won't slide to unlock? Well, let's check out this page to get eight common fixes and the one-click way now.
Fix 1: Make Sure You Swipe Up From Low Enough
If you swipe around the center of the iPad's display, Notification Center should open automatically. So make sure you swipe up from the white horizontal bar at the bottom of the display.
Check if You Need:
- How to Unlock iPad without Passcode? 5 Ways to Solve It!
- How to Effectively Recover Data on A Locked iPad
Fix 2: Clean iPad Screen with a Soft Absorbent Cloth
iPad will not unlock? A loose connection might be to blame. Therefore, press firmly along the entire bezel of the iPad screen. And if it fails, you can try to dry and clean your iPad screen with a soft, absorbent cloth or leave the Pad powered off for a while.
Fix 3: Ask Siri to Open Apps from iPad Lock Screen
Siri might be able to help you reach the iPad's Home screen. To fulfill this:
- Activate Siri to open apps from the lock screen. (Learn how to use Siri on iPhone or iPad)
- Hold down the Home button until Siri says, "What can I help you with?".
- Say "open settings", "open Mail", etc.
- If prompted, enter your passcode.
- Once you get access to an app, press Home.
Fix 4: Turn Off VoiceOver
"My iPad won't unlock, but I had VoiceOver enabled and turned up my iPad's volume". In this case, just try to triple-click the Home button and see if it works. If you can get into the Home screen, change the accessibility shortcut by going to Settings > General > Accessibility > Accessibility Shortcut.
If a triple-click didn't work, follow the steps to turn VoiceOver off:
- Double-tap Settings.
- Use three fingers to scroll down to General > double-click it.
- Use three fingers to scroll down to Accessibility > double-click it.
- Double-touch VoiceOver.
- Turn VoiceOver OFF.
Fix 5: Restore Your iPad
iPad will not slide to unlock with the above fixes? You can try to get it restored now. But before the restore, ensure that you back up your iPad data beforehand, as this will erase all the existing items on your iPad.
- Run the latest iTunes on a computer.
- Link your iPad to the computer with a USB cable.
- Click the device icon from the iTunes interface.
- Go for Summary > Restore iPad.
- Enter the password on your iPad when prompted.
- Confirm the pop-ups and wait.
Tips: Here, you can choose to restore your iPad without iTunes as per your needs.
Fix 6: Update iPad with iTunes
Updating iPadOS may help fix slide to unlock not working on iPad. To start with, connect your iPad to a computer with iTunes. Then see if there is an update available. If necessary, just update your iPadOS as follows:
- Choose the device icon > Summary > Check for Update.
- Click Download and Update.
- Agree to the terms and conditions.
- Enter the password on your iPad when prompted.
Fix 7: Hard Reset Your iPad
To hard reset your iPad, you need to:
- Hold down the Power and Home buttons on the device for 7 seconds.
- After that, release the Home button but keep holding the Power.
- Release the Power button once your iPad begins rebooting.
- After your iPad starts, the lock screen should disappear.
- Can't Delete Photos from iPhone/iPad? Here are Solutions!
- Transfer Contacts from iPad to iPhone (4 Solutions)
Fix 8: Unlock Your iPad with Find My iPhone/iPad
If you find your iPad touch screen not working, or it can't unlock after many attempts, you can try to settle it with Find My iPhone/iPad. Here's the tutorial:
- Visit the Find My iPhone/iPad website from another device.
- Sign in to your Apple ID and password linked with your iPad.
- Select "Find My iPhone/iPad" from the welcome page.
- Tap "All Devices" to choose your iPad.
- Hit "Erase iPad" from the listed options.
- This will begin to wipe away your iPad data.
- After the erasure, you should then access your iPad without a hitch.
If all else doesn't work, you should have your iPad fixed by a professional program as below. And next, let's come up with the real fix.
iPad slide to unlock won't work after all? Just take a look at iOS System Recovery. This is the ultimate tool to settle iPad screen won't unlock, retaining your iOS content after the repair.
It comes into play for various scenarios, fixing iPhone/iPad screen not responding, iPhone/iPad disabled, Recovery/DFU mode, iTunes errors, and many more.
Chief features of iOS System Recovery:
- Repair your iPad/iPhone/iPod back to normal on a computer with no data loss.
- Two repairing modes to fix Device Issues, Screen Issues, iOS Mode Issues, iTunes Issues effectively.
- Upgrade and downgrade iOS to supported versions.
- Easy to operate, lightweight, clean, intuitive, etc.
- Play functions on a whole range of iOS devices, containing iPad Pro, iPad Air, iPad 4, iPad mini, the new iPad, iPad 2, iPhones, iPods, and so on.
- It can well protect your privacy.
Now, let's check out how to fix iPad won't work with iOS System Repair:
Step 1. Choose the iOS System Recovery section
Download and install this program on your computer. Then launch it and choose "More Tools > iOS System Recovery".
Step 2. Connect your iPad to a computer
Plug your iPad into the same computer via a USB cable and tap "Start" to move on.
Step 3. Begin the repair procedure
This tool will detect your iPad info soon. You can check it and click "Repair" to initiate the task. If the detected info is incorrect, select the right one and then press "Repair".
Step 4. Restart your iPad
Wait for the end of the job, reboot your iPad, and you will find the device can work properly.
The Bottom Line
We mentioned eight expedients in the first part to cope with slide to unlock not working on iPad. They are easy to operate, though, may take up too much of your time and even get your iPad erased, regardless of whether they work or not eventually.
And we delved into the ultimate solution (with iOS System Recovery) in the next section. This method is obviously the most desirable one, all things considered. It can fix iPad won't unlock in one tap and won't put your device data at risk. Thus, download this program below and start your repair journey now.