How to Recover Data from Water Damaged iPhone 12/11/Xs Max/X/8/7/6?
"Hi, I accidentally dropped my iPhone into the river, and now it won't turn on. I called Apple. They said it would not work anymore. But I have photos inside, and there are hundreds of them. Is there any way that can recover data from water damaged iPhone?" -- from Apple Support Communities
iPhone accidentally falls into the water, resulting in a dead Home button. What's worse, the device coming in contact with liquid adds the possibility of data missing. So, to avoid further loss, retrieving data from water-damaged iPhone can be a top priority.
You know, Apple won't tell you how to recover photos, contacts, etc., from iPhone that got wet. In the following, we will explore the answer to this question and present some useful tips for a water-damaged iPhone.
Many folks may be concerned about how to save an iPhone from water damage. Well, without further ado, here are the matters that need attention:
What to Do?
- Take the iPhone out of the water with the least possible delay.
- Wipe the water from the outside and crevices of the iPhone with a paper towel or cloth.
- Remove the SIM card.
- Remove earbuds and protective covers, if any.
- Dry the phone with silica gel sachets.
- Send the iPhone to a reputable repair store for repair.
What to Avoid Doing?
- Do not turn it on.
- Do not press any buttons.
- Do not plug it into any device with its USB cable.
- Do not shake your phone.
- Do not dry your mobile with a hairdryer.
- Do not put it into uncooked rice (important) or cat litter.
Now, can iPhone data be recovered after water damage? This isn't difficult. We will figure out the issue by offering three easy ways below.
You May Also Like:
- Tips to Recover Deleted Files from Dead or Broken iPhone
- [Easy Guide] How to Transfer Data from iPhone to iPhone without iCloud?
Do you know how to recover data from water damaged iPhone that won't turn on via backup? Assuming you have previously synced your iPhone with iCloud, you can try to make water damage recovery for iPhone with this service. But please note that:
- Firstly, you can restore the iCloud backup to another iPhone, for the damaged iPhone won't turn on.
- Secondly, you should use the Apple ID linked to the water-damaged iPhone on another device.
- Thirdly, after the restore, the iCloud backup will cover all your current on the working iPhone.
How to recover data from wet iPhone 6/7/8/X/XR/Xs/11/12 with iCloud backup?
- Go to Settings > General > Reset (on another iPhone).
- Tap "Erase All Content and Settings".
- Go through the setup screen until you reach the Apps & Data screen.
- Hit "Restore from iCloud Backup".
- Sign in with your iCloud account you use on the water-damaged iPhone.
- Proceed to "Choose backup".
- Select the backup you want from the incoming list.
Files like photos, music, apps may continue to restore in the background for the next several hours. Thus, keep your iPhone turned on and ensure a stable WiFi network is connected to the device.
If you have a backup on iTunes other than iCloud, you can also perform iPhone data recovery after water damage easily. And the three notes mentioned in Part 2 apply to this method, too.
How to recover data from water damaged iPhone via iTunes backup?
- Run iTunes on your computer where you have backed up your iPhone data.
- Link the functioning iPhone to the computer with a USB cable.
- Trust this computer on the phone if requested.
- Select your device's icon when it appears in iTunes.
- Go to "Summary" from the left panel.
- Under the Backup tab, click "Restore backup".
- Choose the most relevant backup file.
- Tap "Restore" to recover data from the water-damaged iPhone. (If asked, enter the password to encrypt the backup).
- Top 6 Methods to Unlock iPhone When Screen is Broken
- 3 Best Ways to Backup and Restore iPhone (#3 Is Excellent)
Often, you find your device is malfunctioning damaged by water. Can data be recovered from water damaged iPhone without deleting data on the device? Certainly! MobiKin Doctor for iOS is right here to get your back. As long as you have backed up your iPhone data to iTunes, this full-fledged software can access and recover lost data in scenarios like accidental deletion, password forgotten, iPhone stuck in boot loop, device smashed, and many more.
Brief overview of Doctor for iOS:
- Recover data from water damaged or well-functioning iPhone without losing data.
- Retrieve iPhone content from iTunes without overwriting current data on the iPhone.
- Recover deleted contacts and text messages from iPhone without backup.
- The supported data types: contacts, call records, text messages, SMS attachments, photos, notes, voice memos and so on.
- Easy to handle, totally clean & safe, etc.
- Work well on various iDevices, such as iPhone 12/12 Pro (Max)/12 mini, iPhone 11/11 Pro/11 Pro Max, iPhone X/XR/Xs/Xs Max, iPhone 8/8 Plus, iPhone 7/7 Plus, iPhone 6/6S/6 Plus, iPod, iPad, etc.
- It doesn't give away your privacy.
iPhone Data Recovery can recover various data from the iPhone that got wet. And here, we take photo recovery as an example to see how to recover pictures/photos from a water-damaged iPhone with this program.
Step 1. Run Doctor for iOS on your computer
Open the utility on your computer. Select "Recover from iTunes Backup File" from the left sidebar. Then, all iTunes backup records on your computer will be scanned out. Highlight the one you need and click "Start Scan".
Step 2. Preview your desired pictures
Now, you'll get the main screen of the program. Tap Camera Roll/Photos from the main screen and click "Start Scan" to load all the iPhone pictures in this iTunes backup fiel.
Step 3. Recover photos from water damaged iPhone
Handpick what you want from the right column and tap "Recover to Computer" to get pictures off water damaged iPhone in one click.
Words in the End
So, have you got the hang of how to recover data from water damaged iPhone?
In short, if you have an iTunes or iCloud backup, you can try to recover data directly from the backup. However, if you encounter any of the following situations:
- You don't have another functioning iPhone.
- The Apple ID you use on another iPhone is different from the ID on the drenched device.
- You are worried the recovered content covers the existing iPhone data.
- You had not made any backup of your water-damaged iPhone.
At this juncture, MobiKin Doctor for iOS is a must for you. Finally, do remember to go over the precautions to take care of your wet iPhone before file recovery.