iCloud Not Backing Up on iPhone 14/13/12/11/XS/8 Plus/8? Here's the Fix!
iCloud backup is a popular backup method to escort data on Apple devices. For iPhone users, iCloud can help them back up almost all their data, including photos, music, contacts, and more. After completing the iCloud backup for your iPhone, even if you replace your new phone, you don't have to worry about losing your old data because you can easily restore data from iCloud backup to your new iPhone. But sometimes, when you try to back up the data on iPhone to iCloud, an error message "iCloud backup failed" will pop up. This error can be caused by a variety of reasons.
So today let us learn why isn't my iPhone backing up to iCloud failed, and we will focus on the methods that can solve the problem.
Part 1. Reasons Why iCloud Backup Not Working
Why won't my iCloud backup for my iPhone 11/11 Pro Max/XS Max/XS/X/8 Plus/8/7/6? Well, there are actually many different reasons that can lead to "iCloud backup failed". Next we will provide solutions for each of these reasons.
1. There may be problems with iCloud settings that cause iCloud backup not working;
2. The remaining free storage space of iCloud is insufficient. This is one of the most common causes of iCloud backup failures and one of the most easily ignored by users;
3. There may be a problem with your iPhone settings;
4. There may be a problem with your network or network settings. iCloud backup requires a stable network connection. Once the network connection is poor or unavailable, of course, iCloud backup failed problem will occur;
5. There may be a problem with your iCloud login;
6. iCloud is not compatible with new iOS, which will cause your iPhone to be unable to access iCloud, so iCloud is unable to backup iPhone;
7. The iPhone screen is not locked.
Now, we have basically listed all the reasons that will cause iphone wont backup on iCloud. Let us propose a feasible solution for these reasons one by one.
- How to Transfer Contacts from Computer to iPhone
- [Full Guide] How to Transfer Videos from PC/Mac to iPhone
Part 2. How to Fix iCloud Backup Failed Issue (7 Solutions)
Solution 1. Check iCloud Settings on iPhone
First, you can follow the path below to enter iCloud backup to see if you have changed iCloud settings on your iPhone. Incorrect iCloud settings will directly cause iPhone backup failed on iCloud.
- Go to "Settings" on your iPhone.
- Tap on your Apple ID, which is usually located at the top of the screen.
- Tap on iCloud.
- Scroll down to find if the iCloud Backup option is toggled On. If yes, go ahead to tap "Back Up Now" to attempt to backup your iPhone; if not, turn it On and then tap "Back Up Now".
Note that if your "Back Up Now" button is grayed out, the problem may be with your network connection. You need to check the Wi-Fi connection or network restrictions on your iPhone.
Solution 2. Clear iCloud Storage
If the pop-up iCloud backup failed message says that it is because of insufficient iCloud storage space, then you can free up iCloud space by following the below tips:
Tip 1: buy more iCloud space
Free iCloud storage space is limited, once you run it out, you need to pay to get more iCloud space. You can go to the Settings app > click on your Apple ID > click on iCloud > Manage Storage > Buy More Storage.
Tip 2: Turn off the applications that do not need to backup
You can try backing up fewer apps in iCloud. Go to the Settings app > click on your Apple ID > iCloud > Manage Storage > Backups > Tap your current device > Turn off the apps you don't want to back up.
Tip 3: Delete unnecessary or old backups or files in iCloud.
Tap on Settings > iCloud > Manage Storage > Select the backup you don't need any more > Tap on "Delete Backup" option.
I believe you now have more storage space on your iCloud account. Please check if the remaining space is sufficient to back up your iPhone, and if possible, try to perform the backup again.
Solution 3. Restart iPhone and Back Up Again
If you have tried many methods and your iPhone still cannot be backed up to iCloud, then you can simply restart your iPhone and see if the problem persists. Below are the different restart methods for different iPhone models.
- For iPhone 6/6S and earlier models: Press and hold the Home and Power buttons > Release the buttons until Apple logo shows up.
- For iPhone 7/7 Plus: Press and hold the Power and Volume Down buttons > Release the buttons until Apple logo shows up.
- For iPhone 8 (Plus)/X/XS (Max)/XR/11/11 Pro Max: Press and release the Volume Up button > Then press and release the Volume Down button > Press and hold the Side button, release the button until Apple logo shows up.
After restarting your iPhone, you can now try back up your iPhone to iCloud again.
Solution 4. Checkout Your Network and Network Settings
Network connectivity is also a basic but overlooked cause of the problem of "iPhone will not backup to iCloud" by most people. It could be a network, WiFi connection, or network setting. To successfully back up your iPhone to iCloud, you need to connect your phone to a stable network and ensure that all settings do not prevent your device from connecting to this network. In addition, you also need to make sure that there is no problem with the Internet or WiFi source.
So, how to check and make sure there is no problem with the network connection on the iPhone? You can follow these simple steps to reset the network settings on your iPhone:
- Tap on "Settings" app on your iPhone.
- Tap on "General" option.
- Scroll down to choose the "Reset" button.
- Tap on the Reset Network Settings option.
- Enter your passcode.
- Confirm the network reset by clicking on the "Reset Network Settings" option.
The network settings on your iPhone are now back to their default settings. If your iCloud still cannot back up your iPhone, read on to try other solutions.
Solution 5. Sign Out and Sign Back into iCloud
If it's not a storage or a network connection issue, then you can try logging out and logging back in to iCloud to fix the problem. This is a simple and effective, but underrated solution. Before you go for a more professional solution, follow these simple procedures to try it out.
- Open "Settings" app on your iPhone.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the screen to tap the "Accounts & Passwords" option.
- Scroll down to tap "Sign Out" button.
- A confirmation screen will pop up, asking you whether you are sure to sign out of your iCloud account. Just confirm it by tapping on "Sign Out".
- Input iCloud account and password again to sign back into iCloud and then try to toggle "iCloud Backup" again.
Solution 6. Update iOS to the latest version
Sometimes, the reason why iPhone won't backup to iCloud is that you haven't updated the iOS system. To update iOS on iPhone, you need to:
- Open "Settings" app on your iPhone.
- Tap on the "General" option.
- Go to "Software Update" and click "Download and Install" to update the iOS to the latest version. That's it.
Solution 7. Lock Your iPhone Screen
If you set up automatic backups on your iPhone, then you must ensure that your iPhone is locked before you can continue the backup process.
- Go to "Settings" app on your iPhone.
- Tap on the "Display & Brightness" option.
- Tap on "Auto-Lock" option.
- Check a time period except "Never".
Guess you like:
Part 3. Alternative Way to Backup Your iPhone - Using Assistant for iOS
If you have tried all the above methods and still cannot solve the problem of iCloud backup failed issue, then we recommend that you give up using iCloud backup and use some excellent third-party software to back up your iPhone to ensure data security. Our recommended software is called MobiKin Assistant for iOS, and it is designed to meet the management and backup & restore requirements of iOS devices. I believe it can match you perfectly.
Assistant for iOS - Flexible Way to Back Up iPhone
- One click to back up your iPhone data selectively or wholly to computer.
- Support to backup almost everything on your iDevices (iPhone/iPad/iPod), including Video, Photo, Music, eBook, Contacts, Text Messages, Notes, Safari Bookmarks, Voice Memo, Podcast, Ringtone, Playlist, etc.
- You are allowed to preview and restore any item from the backup to any iOS device.
- Backup your iPhone to iTunes with one click and import iTunes backups from PC to your device, or delete any unwanted iTunes backups from your PC.
- No data loss issue durting the backup and restore process.
- Fully compatible with iPhone 11, 11 Pro, 11 Pro Max, iPhone Xs, Xs Max, XR, X, 9 (Plus), 8 (Plus), 7/7S (Plus), 6S/6 and so on.
Simply follow the steps here to back up your iPhone when the iCloud backup not working.
Step 1: Connect your iPhone to computer
Launch Assistant for iOS after you installed it on your computer. Connect your iPhone to the computer via a USB cable and the device will be detected by the software automatically. You can see your iPhone information on the main interface and the iPhone library in the left sidebar.
Step 2: Scan and choose the files you want
Click the categories one by one to find the files you want to backup. The software will scan your iPhone and display all your iPhone data on the right side window. Here I would like to take contacts backup as the example. Check all contacts you want and go to the top menu to click the "Export" button.
Step 3: Start to back up your iPhone
After you click the "Export" button, you'll need to select a computer folder to save the files to be backed up. When the backup process is done, you can check the backup files in the destination folder.
I hope you have successfully resolved the iCloud backup failed issue. If not, don't worry, because MobiKin Assistant for iOS can replace iCloud backup, and even provides a more secure and convenient backup method to protect your iPhone data. As you can see, it is an excellent assistant for backing up and managing iOS data. Install it on your computer now and try it for free.
3 Solutions to Restore iPhone/iPad from Backup (98% Success Rate)
iPhone Music Transfer: How to Transfer Music from iPhone to Computer Freely?
How to Transfer Contacts from iPhone to Computer?
How to Transfer SMS (Text Messages) from iPhone to Computer?
How to Share Music on iPhone? (4 Simple Ways Included)