How to Back Up iPhone Contacts to iCloud – A Complete Guide 2022
Safely storing contacts is the first thing all mobile phone users should consider when they want to prevent contacts from being lost in their daily life. For iPhone users, you can regularly back up iPhone contacts to iCloud or iTunes, so you never have to worry about data loss after switching to the latest iPhone version, upgrading the operating system, etc. Also, iCloud ensures that not only phone numbers but other contact information are well preserved and you can restore them at any time.
We all know that iCloud is a very convenient cloud storage service provided by Apple to backup and restore your iDevice data. You can even restore backup files on multiple Apple devices under the same Apple ID. The process of backing up iPhone contacts to iCloud is very simple. Now, we'll tell you how.
Here are the step-by-step instructions on how to back up iPhone contacts to iCloud. Before you start, you need to do some preparations:
- Make sure iCloud has enough storage space to keep your contacts. (Not enough iCloud storage? You can learn how to free up space on iCloud or buy more iCloud space.)
- Make sure your iPhone is connected to a stable Wi-Fi network.
Now, follow the steps below to see how to back up contacts to iCloud from iPhone:
- On your iPhone device, simply go to the Settings app.
- Tap your name at the top of your phone's screen.
- On the new page, you will see that the iCloud option is turned on. If it's not open, you need to tap it to open it.
- Toggle on the Contact option below the iCloud icon. After activating contacts backup, you will see a green icon on the right side of the Contacts menu.
- A message will pop up on your phone screen asking if you want to sync your contacts to your iCloud.
- At this point, you just have to click the "Merge" button to merge all your iPhone contacts existing on your iPhone with the contacts saved in iCloud.
- How to Transfer Text Messages from Samsung Phone to Computer Effectively?
- How to Transfer Music from iPhone to Computer Free
Follow these tips when you need to set up a new iOS device and plan to restore your iCloud backup to your new iPhone.
If you are importing contacts to an iCloud account using the same Apple ID:
- Go to the Settings app on the target iPhone.
- Tap [your name] > iCloud.
- Turn off the Contacts option and open it again.
- At this point, you will be prompted to restore contacts to your iPhone. You can restore contacts from iCloud to your iPhone with just a tap of "Merge".
If you're importing contacts to an iCloud account with another Apple ID:
- Open a browser on your computer and visit iCloud.com.
- Sign in to the Apple ID you used to back up your contacts.
- Select "Contacts" after successful login.
- Select the contacts to export and click Settings > Export vCard...
- Finally, import the vCard file to your iPhone and you are done.
Check If You Need:
- 3 Best Ways to Backup and Restore iPhone (#3 is Excellent)
- How to Share Music on iPhone? (4 Simple Ways Included)
You know that iCloud has only 5GB of free storage, so sometimes you need to free up space or pay to upgrade it to get more space. So, for security concerns and the need for unlimited storage space, we strongly recommend you to back up or save your iPhone contacts on your computer, which will give you plenty of free space and high security. To achieve it, you can take the help of MobiKin Assistant for iOS. With it, you can enjoy the following features.
What can Assistant for iOS transfer or manage for you:
- Back up contacts and other iPhone data like messages, notes, calendars, bookmarks, music, photos, videos, books, apps, etc., on PC or Mac with 1 simple click.
- It uses a physical connection to backup iPhone data and does not require an internet connection.
- Preview the target files before exporting, so that you'll never back up wrong data on your computer.
- You can achieve one-click iTunes backup or restore.
- Neither backup nor restore will overwrite existing data, ensuring zero data loss.
- Compatible with almost all iOS devices and systems, including the latest iPhone 13/13 Pro (Max)/13 mini, 12/11/Xs Max/XR/X/7/6.
Follow the steps below to see how to use Assistant for iOS to back up iPhone contacts to computer.
Step 1. Install and launch Assistant for iOS
Install and run MobiKin Assistant for iOS on your computer. Connect your iPhone to the computer via a USB cord. Then, unlock your iPhone and tap "Trust" in the prompt. Then, you can see the main interface of the program like below. (What to do if the device fails to connect?)
Step 2. Select the contacts for backup
Choose the "Contacts" tab from the left sidebar, and the program will start to scan your iPhone to find all contacts saved in your iPhone. Then, you can preview and select the contacts that you want to back up.
Step 3. Back up iPhone contacts to computer
Tick off the contacts that you need and click the option of "Export" from the top menu. Choose an output format and set a custom storage path if you need. After that, the program will start to save your iPhone contacts to computer.
Please watch this video to learn more details on how to transfer contacts from iPhone to computer with ease.
That's the whole steps for backing up contacts from iPhone to iCloud. Very easy, right? You can follow it to backup your iPhone contacts as you like. And if you wish to restore contacts from iCloud backup, here is also a detailed tutorial for your reference.
If you can't use iCloud to back up your device, or you want to store your iPhone contacts elsewhere, you can use the iOS data transfer and management software MobiKin Assistant for iOS to back up contacts from your iPhone to your computer. Compared to iCloud, iOS data transfer and management software has many advantages, it provides a safer and more efficient way to transfer files between your iOS device and computer easily.