How to Fix iPhone Contacts Missing Names with 15 Methods?
Have you ever bumped into the same awkward situation that your iPhone doesn't display contact names in profiles, call logs, and messages? Well, what are the reasons for iPhone contacts missing names? Next, you may wonder how to re-access the disappeared names, both personally and professionally, in that case. OK, this is a complete guide, helping you fix "iPhone not showing contact names" in a dozen solutions. Now just go and check them.
Part 1: Why Did My iPhone Contact Names Disappear?
iPhone contact names disappeared. What are the reasons behind it? OK, it's time for you to know some possible factors that may result in this phenomenon, through which you can avoid losing contact names in the future. Generally, the main causes could be:
- Accidental deletion.
- Software update. (How to fix iPhone stuck on preparing an iOS Update?)
- Virus attack.
- iPhone jailbreak.
- iCloud sync error.
- Incompatible applications.
- An unknown error occurs while restoring iPhone.
- Hardware issues.
- Other reasons.
- What If Contacts didn't Transfer to New iPhone/iPad? [8 Solutions for You]
- How to Recover Deleted Contacts from SIM Card in Android & iPhone [New]
Part 2: How to Fix iPhone Contacts Missing Names Issue in 14 Quick Ways
Way 1. Restart Your iPhone
Rebooting your iPhone helps a lot sometimes, as most Apple users find it useful. If you are troubled by "iPhone not showing contact names", the very first step to do is restart your iPhone.
Way 2. Enable the "Show All Contacts" Option
This issue may happen when you enable the "Hide All Contacts" option by accidentally. You just need to enable the "Show All Contacts" option by going to the iPhone "Contacts" app > tap "Groups" in the top left corner > turn on the "All on My iPhone" option.
Way 3. Turn off Contacts on iCloud and Turn It on Again
- Go to "Settings" > "Apple ID" > "iCloud" > Enable the "Contacts" option.
- It will ask you to delete or keep synced contacts.
- Choose "Delete from My iPhone". (You won't lose anything, and your contacts are still in iCloud.)
- Restart your iPhone, and go to iPhone "Settings" > "Apple ID" > "iCloud" > Turn the "Contacts" toggle on. (What if your Apple ID is disabled?)
Way 4. Refresh Contacts Database
Although it is a long shot to fix iPhone lost contact names by refreshing the contacts database, you can try it as below:
- Open the "Contacts" app on your iPhone.
- Select the contacts that the name disappears.
- You'll see the detailed info for this contact.
- Click "Edit" on the top right corner to make a change to the contact database.
Way 5. Sign out of iCloud and Sign in Again
- Open "Settings" on your iPhone 13/12/11/XR/X/8/7/6.
- Scroll down to the bottom and tap the "Accounts & Passwords" option.
- Push the "Sign Out" button.
- A confirmation screen should pop up, asking you if you're sure to sign out of the iCloud account. Just confirm it by pressing "Sign Out".
- Enter your iCloud account and password again to sign back to iCloud.
Way 6. Turn Individual Accounts Off and On
- Go to iPhone "Settings" > "Accounts and Passwords".
- Select each account that syncs the contacts with your iDevice. (Let's say Gmail, Outlook, iCloud, etc.)
- Open each account and turn the "Contacts button" OFF.
- Wait 10-20 seconds before toggling back ON.
Way 7. Turn off and Turn on Short Name
- Open iPhone "Settings" and head to "Contacts".
- Tap on "Short Name" to turn it off.
- Turn the option back on and check if it fixed contact names that disappeared from iPhone.
Way 8. Force Contacts to Rebuild
- Open any random contact on your iPhone.
- Make some edits to the info (like adding a home phone number) and save it.
- Switch off your device via the "Slider to power off"; or you can go to "Settings" > "General" > "Reset" > "Shut Down".
- Then power on your iPhone.
Way 9. Change Region, Reboot, and Change Region Again
While the principle is unclear, this method is reported to fix the issue at times, especially when your contacts are in messages but not in contacts of the iPhone.
- Open iPhone "Settings" > "General" > "Language & Region".
- Change the region to something different.
- Force restart your iPhone.
Way 10. Check Google Account
iPhone contacts can be synced with Google account if the "Contacts backup" option is enabled on iCloud. Thus, please follow the steps to resolve the problem by checking your Google account.
- Go to iPhone "Settings" > "Contacts".
- Head to "Accounts" > "Gmail" to choose your Google account.
- You can now check whether "Contact" is enabled. If not, turn it on to get the contacts back.
Way 11. Ask Siri for Help
Most of us often use Siri on an iPhone to serve us in an emergency. As a smart tool to get your contacts back. Despite being complained about for some issues with this tool, you may get what you want by configuring it correctly.
Way 12. Reset Network Settings
It is said that wrong network settings may result in iPhone not showing contact names or iPhone contacts messed up. So, you can reset the settings to check if it works:
- Go to iPhone "Settings" > "General".
- Find and tap "Reset" > Select "Reset Network Settings".
- This will clear all network settings and return them to factory defaults. (It won't erase your iOS data)
Way 13. Check Contact List Later on
For example, you are on vacation abroad, and iPhone contacts missing names occurs. Don't panic! Just see if they will come back when you return home. Or, if you are in your country but aren't in a hurry to check the lost names, you can open your iPhone and refresh it in a few days.
Way 14. Use a Professional Tool to Fix iPhone Contact Names Missing
Do you want to fix iPhone "contacts missing names" accurately and quickly? Try a smart tool like iOS System Recovery. This program offers the simplest and most direct solution to let you check your lost names in minutes.
It delivers two modes to handle various issues, covering iPhone white/black/red/blue screen of death, iPhone Touch ID not working, loop restart, battery draining fast, and more. Moreover, it is compatible with various iOS devices and completely secure.
Well, how to use iOS System Recovery to regain the missing names?
- Firstly, download and install iOS System Recovery on your PC/Mac.
- Launch it and select the "iOS System Recovery" module.
- Attach your iPhone to this computer via USB.
- Click on "Start" to initiate the repair.
- This utility will detect the info of your iPhone.
- You can check your iDevice and tap "Repair". (If the detected info is wrong, please choose the correct one and tap "Repair" again)
- After the repair, your can restart your iPhone and check your lost names for contacts.
- How to Transfer Contacts from iPhone to SIM Card Easily & Quickly?
- [Updated] How to Print Contacts from iPhone? It's a Cinch!
Part 3: How to Recover Missing Contacts Name with/without Backup
To fix iPhone contact names that disappeared in an ultimate way, you're recommended to use MobiKin Doctor for iOS. This intelligent tool lets you easily and quickly get your contacts back, including the phone numbers, names, companies, email addresses, and more. More importantly, you can use this program to rescue your various iOS data whenever you want, even when you have no backup.
Main features of Doctor for iOS:
- Restore iPhone contacts missing names and other info without/with backup.
- Recover iOS files from iTunes backup without deleting existing data.
- Retrieve such items as contacts (names, phone numbers, etc.), photos, videos, messages, call logs, calendars, Safari history, voice memos, notes, and more.
- Let you preview and select any files before recovery.
- Run smoothly on various iOS devices, including iPhone 14/13/12/12 Pro (Max)/12 mini, iPhone 11/11 Pro/11 Pro Max, iPhone X/XR/Xs/Xs Max, iPhone 8/8 Plus, iPhone 7/7 Plus, iPhone 6/6S/6 Plus, iPod touch, iPad, etc.
- It won't reveal your privacy.
>> Restore missing iPhone contacts (names) without backup:
Step 1. Connect your iPhone to your computer
Run the tool on a computer after the download and installation. Pick "Recover from iOS Device" from its screen. Link your iPhone to the computer via USB. Then, let the product identify your device following the on-screen hints.
Step 2. Preview and select the lost iPhone contacts
Now, you'll get the software's main screen with all recovered file types displayed on it. Next, select "Contacts" and click "Start Scan" to load and preview all the detailed info of your contacts on this computer.
Step 3. Get contacts back on iPhone after update
Mark the contacts with your missing names from the right of the screen and press "Recover to Computer" to retrieve them onto the computer.
Well, if you ever made a backup of your iPhone via iTunes, you can now follow the instructions to regain your contacts, including the names and other info.
>> Recover missing iPhone contacts (names) from iTunes backup:
- Download and install the utility on your computer.
- Run it and select the "Recover from iTunes Backup File" section.
- Then, the tool will detect the iTunes backup files on your computer.
- Go for the iTunes backup file that includes your lost contact's name.
- Click on "Start Scan" to show all recoverable data types.
- After that, please choose "Contacts" and click "Start Scan" again to scan the disappeared items.
- Preview and tick on the contacts, including your wanted names to recover.
- Click "Recover to Computer" to store them on your computer.
OK. We are all done here. You can now pick any of the methods above to walk out of the predicament. Honestly, the first thirteen methods can be tried but are not guaranteed to work. Assuming you want to get a good result within a short time, simply consider the last two approaches directly. At last, if you have any questions during the operation, please leave a comment below. And we will answer for you as soon as possible.
8 Solutions to Fix Contacts Disappeared from iPhone [Great]
How to Transfer Contacts from Computer to iPhone 14/13/12/11/11 Pro Max?
How to Edit/Manage iPhone Contacts on PC? [Top Tips for 2023]
[Solved!] How to Sync Google Contacts to iPhone 14/13/12/11/XR/Xs Max/X/8?
How to Sync iPhone Contacts to Mac in 7 Flexible Ways?