[2021 Updated] How to Recover Deleted iMessages from iCloud
The iMessage app allows users to send and receive text messages, voice messages, photos, videos, and location information between iOS devices. Therefore, people tend to store a large number of important personal files and information on iMessage. However, sometimes, iMessage may be lost due to various reasons, such as accidental deletion, failure to update the device to iOS 15, jailbreaking or repairing the iPhone. Then, how to recover deleted/lost iMessages becomes your most concerned issue.
If you have backed up iMessages to iCloud, can you recover iMessages from iCloud? Sure. This article will show you 3 different ways to recover deleted iMessages from iCloud backup.
If you have synced your iPhone data to iCloud, you might have an iCloud backup for the deleted iMessages. You can restore your iPhone from iCloud backup and get back the iMessages on your device. However, please make sure the iCloud backup is the latest one and contains the iMessages you want. Importantly, this will erase all current files on your iPhone and replace or overwrite them with the files from the selected iCloud backup.
Here is how to recover old imessages from icloud via iPhone Settings:
- First of all, you need to reset your iPhone. Go to "Settings" > "General" > "Reset" > "Erase All Contents and Settings". Then tap the "Erase iPhone" option on pop-up window to confirm your action.
- Wait for the erasing process to finish. Then, set it up by following the on-screen instructions until you see the "Apps and Data" page. Select the "Restore from iCloud Backup" option.
- You will be asked to log into iCloud with your Apple ID. This will bring out a list of iCloud backup, just select the backup record that contains the iMessages you need to start restoring data from iCloud backup.
Please keep connecting your iPhone to an available Wi-Fi network during the restoring process, and after finishing restoring, your iMessages will be back along with all other files from the iCloud backup.
- How to Extract MMS and iMessages from iTunes Backup
- How to Recover Deleted MMS from iPhone 13/12/11/Xs/X/8
You can also reset your device through the iCloud web page, and then recover imessages from iCloud backup.
- On your computer, open a browser and visit the page of icloud.com.
- Log into your iCloud account with your Apple ID and password.
- Navigate to the option of "Find iPhone", choose your iOS device to erase.
- The operations above will set your device to factory settings. After that, you can use the iCloud backup containing the lost iMessages to reset your device.
If you only want to recover the iMessages from iCloud backup, or you want to select some items from iCloud backup for recovery, you might ask help from a professional 3rd-party program - iCloud Data Recovery. It enables you to recover not only deleted messages, but also other more 10+ types of data without any effort. With this tool, you can restore iMessages from iCloud backup selectively or in a batch, without resetting iPhone.
Key Features of iCloud Data Recovery:
- Recover iMessages, contacts, photos, videos, call logs, WhatsApp data, notes, reminders, voice memos, etc. from iCloud backup with ease.
- Recover lost data from iPhone directly, or restoring from iCloud and iTunes backup.
- Scan and preview data before recovery.
- Work well on overall iOS devices, such as iPhone 13/12/11/11 Pro (Max), iPhone X/Xs/XR/Xs Max, iPhone 8/8 Plus, iPhone 7/7 Plus, iPhone 6/6S/6 Plus, iPad Pro, iPad Air, iPad mini, and iPod touch.
Here is how to retrieve old iMessages from iCloud by using iCloud Data Recovery tool:
Step 1. Sign into iCloud Account
Download and install the recommended software on your computer. Launch it and turn to the "Recover from iCloud Backup File" section. Here you need to sign in to iCloud account with your Apple ID and password.
Step 2. Download iCloud Backup
When you have logged into your iCloud account, you will get a list of iCloud backup files in different iOS devices. Just select the iCloud backup containing the iMessages you need and click the "Download" option.
Step 3. Recover iMessages from iCloud selectively
After downloading, all files from iCloud backup will be displayed in different categories. Navigate to the "Messages" or "Message Attachments" file folder, and mark the messages you want. Then, hit on the "Recover" option to get the selected iMessages back from iCloud backup immediately.
- My Pictures Disappeared from My iPhone. Here's the Full Fix
- How to Recover Deleted Contacts from iPhone 13/12/11/Xs Max/X/8/7
1. Is there a good way to save iMessages safely?
Currently, the fastest way to save iPhone text conversations is to take screenshots. Of course, you can also use professional software, such as MobiKin Assistant for iOS, to back up iPhone messages.
2. Can I recover deleted iMessages without any backup?
Yes, you can draw support from MobiKin Doctor for iOS to retrieve deleted messages from your iPhone directly, without any backup on iTunes or iCloud.
3. How to restore iMessages from iTunes backup?
Run iTunes and connect iPhone to iTunes. Click the iPhone icon on iTunes, and then select "Summary" > "Restore from Backup" > select an iPhone backup > "Restore". After that, the backup file will overwrite all the current content on the iPhone. In order to prevent data loss, we recommend that you use MobiKin Doctor for iOS to selectively restore iTunes backup files, so as to avoid data overwriting and prevent data loss.
4. How to delete iMessages from iPhone permanently?
We recommend that you use the professional data erasing software MobiKin Eraser for iOS to permanently erase the data you don't want on your iOS device. It is a very easy-to-use and intuitive utility that can erase all deleted files, private data, system settings and other files on iOS devices with no chance to be recovered.
As a consequence, the above will be the most comprehensive tutorial, covering how to recover deleted iMessages from iCloud backup, iTunes backup, and iPhone itself. Therefore, you will have many different ways to recover your deleted and lost messages. The choice of method depends on whether you have backed up your iMessages. If you have any questions about the above steps, please feel free to leave a message below.