Android SD Card Backup: How to Backup SD Card on Android?
SD card is still used today in some Android phones or tablets, digital cameras, music/video players and driving recorders. And under what circumstances do we need to do Android SD card backup? Here are a few common reasons:
- The device needs to be formatted for some reason, but before formatting, you want to back up the contents of the SD card.
- You need to root your device, but you are worried that the data will be lost.
- You plan to upgrade the Android firmware, but all the content on the SD card will be deleted, so you need to back up the Android SD card first.
- In order to ensure the security of the data, you will regularly back up the data on the Android SD card.
For whatever reason, in the following part, I will show you how to easily and safely back up SD card on Android.
- Solution 1: How to Backup SD Card on Android with A USB Cable
- Solution 2: How to Backup SD Card Data on Android with Android File Transfer
- Solution 3: How to Take SD Card Backup on Android with Android SD Card Backup Tool [Easy & Quick]
- Bonus: What if Android SD Card Data Lost? How to Get them Back?
The most straightforward way to back up data on an Android SD card is to use a USB cable. You only need to connect the Android device with SD card to the computer with the data cable. When the Android phone or tablet is displayed as an external hard disk on the computer, you can start the back up process. The following are the approximate steps, maybe different android devices, the specific steps will be different.
Step 1. Connect your Android device to your computer using the Android USB cable.
Step 2. Once your Android phone is displayed on your computer as an external hard drive, you can click and open it to find the SD card folder.
Step 3. Browse all the files on your Android phone from your computer and find the folders that may contain the files you want to back up, such as DCIM, Music, Video, Photos, etc.
Step 4. Copy the folders and paste them on your computer.
- Easy and free.
- Can be used to backup Music, Video Photos, documents and contacts.
- Backup of app, and app data is not supported.
- Can only be operated on a Windows computer.
- How to Backup An Android Phone to PC in 2019?
- How to Transfer Text Messages from Samsung Phone to Computer Effectively?
The above method is only for Windows computers. Mac users don't have to worry. We have Android File Transfer tool to help you back up your SD card data on Android to your Mac computer. Please follow the steps below to back up Android SD card data to Mac computer by using Android File Transfer.
Step 1: First download Android File Transfer software on your Mac and drag the downloaded .dmg file to the Applications folder. Then install and run it.
Step 2: Unlock your Android phone or tablet and connect it to your Mac using a USB cable. Choose "File Transfers" under the "USB for..." prompt in the notification area, then Android File Transfer will detect your Android phone or tablet.
Step 3: Go to the Android File Transfer interface, find the SD card files and drag them to your Mac for backup.
Well, is there a tool that can support backing up Android SD card to PCs and Mac? Sure! MobiKin Assistant for Android is an all-in-one Android data manager that allows you to make full backup of your Android SD card data. With it, you can backup contacts, SMS, music, videos, photos, call logs, apps and more from Android and Android SD card to PC and Mac quickly and conveniently.
With MobiKin Assistant for Android, you can:
- One-click to backup Android phone and Android SD card data to computer selectively.
- Restore the backup files from computer to any Android devices.
- Manage Android data on computer directly.
- No data loss during backup and restore.
- Supports almost all models of Android devices include Samsung, HUAWEI, HTC, Xiaomi, Motorola, LG, Sony, ZTE, Google and so on.
Download and install Assistant for Android on the Windows or Mac computer to get ready. Then, follow the steps below to see how to backup my SD card on Android with the help of Assistant for Android.
Step 1: Link your Android phone to PC with USB cable
We set Windows version of the program as example. Launch it on your Windows computer and use a USB cable to link your Android phone or tablet to PC. Make sure the USB debugging mode has been enabled on your Android phone. Wait until it is detected by the program and then you will see its interface like the picture below:
Step 2: Select the files you want to transfer
Click on the "Super Toolkit" option from the top menu and choose "Backup" option from the new window. Then, all the file types that can be backed up will be displayed for you to choose. Just tick off the file types you want to transfer to PC and choose a location to save them.
Step 3: Start SD card backup for Android
Finally, you can give a click on "Back Up" button to start the transfer from your Android SD card to your personal computer.
- Easy to use and powerful enough.
- Support to backup almost all types of Android phone data to computer.
- Windows and Mac versions are both available.
- Not free
- How to Backup Samsung Phone to Mac OS X/Macbook
- 5 Ways to Transfer Music from Phone to Computer Easily
Above we describe how to back up the Android SD card, but if unfortunately, the content on the SD card has been lost, what should I do? Is there still a chance to restore them? Of course, MobiKin Doctor for Android supports one-click recovery of lost data on Android SD card, including photos, videos, music, contacts, SMS, call logs, apps, etc.
Steps on How to Recover Android SD Card with Doctor for Android:
Step 1: Install and launch Doctor for Android
Click on the download buttons in the below to download and install the program on your computer. After the installation, you can launch the program to get ready.
Step 2: Enter SD Card Recovery mode
Choose "SD Card Recovery" mode on the top menu, and then you'll see an interface like below. Here, you'll be required to insert the SD card to your computer at first. After that, Click "Next" to go to the next step.
Step 3. Scan files on SD card
Tick the disk drive of your SD card and click "Next" button. Then, the program will start to scan your SD card. When the scanning is finished, you can preview the files and select your lost data.
Step 4. Start to recover Android SD card.
Once you have selected all the data you want back, you can click "Recover" button to begin the recovery process.
Regardless, backing up the Android SD card is very important, after all, you may have stored a lot of precious files on the SD card, and I believe you don't want to lose them. After reading this article, you already know how to backup SD card on phone. Depending on your needs, you can choose a USB method or a third-party application. To save trouble, quickly and efficiently implement the entire backup process, we recommend using the professional MobiKin Assistant for Android. Now it's time to back up the SD card in your Android phone.
Of course, if you have other good ways to back up your Android SD card, you are welcome to share it in the comments section below.