HEIC Viewer for Windows 10/11: How to Open HEIC on Windows?
HEIC, introduced by Apple as the default file format for iOS 11 or later, offers better compression while preserving image quality. However, Apple users have run into compatibility issues since then. For instance, if we transfer photos from an iPhone/iPad to a PC, the chances are that we'll see a lot of strange files, but we won't view them.
Do you know how to open HEIC file in Windows 11/10/8/7? If this question is bothering you, come and read this definitive guide with us, and you will be sure to get your admirable method soon.
What is HEIC? Generally, HEIC, developed by MPEG, is the name that Apple gives to its container for HEIF (High-Efficiency Image File) images. Photos with an .heic are compressed via HEVC, a high-efficiency video codec. Apple users can benefit a lot from this format, as it can:
- Store multiple photos in one file.
- Create about half the size of JPG for the same quality.
- Support transparency like GIF files.
- Store image edits, such as cropping and rotating the photos.
- Work for 16-bit color vs. JPG's 8-bit.
However, users cannot open HEIC files on a Windows PC or Android, notwithstanding it does have some advantages. But never mind, we will discuss how to view HEIC images on Windows next.
You May Wonder:
- Full Comparison between HEIC vs. JPEG: Which is Better?
- [Solved] How to Permanently Delete HEIC Photos on iPhone or iPad?
This approach applies to Windows 10 (version: 1809 or higher). Before we go further, make sure you've made the preparations as below:
- You should check your system version by going to typing "winver" into the search box at the bottom-left of your PC and pressing "Enter".
- If your computer is running on an old OS version, just update it by going to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update.
- You have to pay a licensing fee to install the HEIC file viewer - HEIF Image Extensions from Microsoft Store.
How to open HEIC files on Windows 11/10/8/7/XP via HEIF Image Extensions?
- Locate an HEIC file from File Explorer on your computer and double-click it.
- If you're asked which apps you want to open it in, select "Photos".
- This app will tell you, "The HEIF Image Extension is required to display this file".
- Click "Download and install it now" to get it from Microsoft.
- When Windows asks, "Did you mean to switch apps?" choose "Yes".
- This will open the HEIF Image Extensions in the Microsoft Store.
- Click "Get" to download and install support for HEIC image files.
- Once you open an HEIC image in the "Photos" app, you will be able to view it like you check any other image file, like a BMP, JPEG, PNG, or GIF.
- Windows File Explorer will then generate and display thumbnails for the HEIC image files. (Want to get the free iPhone file explorer?)
MobiKin HEIC to JPG Converter is a program being dedicated to changing HEIC to JPG/PNG/JPEG, by which you can easily view HEIC on Windows, Android, iOS, macOS. As a great HEIC viewer for Windows 11/10/8/7, it can help you batch convert HEIC files at short notice. What's more, it empowers you to change the output image quality by percentage as per your needs before the conversion.
Key highlights of HEIC to JPG Converter:
- Convert and open HEIC files on Windows and Mac.
- Batch convert HEIC to JPG/JPEG/PNG with no file size limits.
- One-click to keep EXIF data of HEIC files.
- Change the image quality from 0% to 100%.
- Work smoothly on Windows 11/10/8/7/XP/Vista
- It won't uncover your privacy.
How to view/open HEIC files on Windows with HEIC to JPG Converter?
Step 1. Open HEIC to JPG Converter on computer
Install and launch the HEIC to JPG Converter software after download. If you want to open HEIC images from your iDevice, you'll need to connect your iPhone/iPad to the computer via a lightning USB cable.
Step 2. Add HEIC files
Click on "Add HEIC", or go to choose "Add File" or "Add Folder" from the top menu to import your HEIC images.
Step 3. Set output format
Under the "Conversion Settings" tab, set JPG/JPEG or PNG as the output image format. Then, adjust the image quality and mark "Keep Exif Data".
Step 4. Convert and open HEIC file on Windows
Click "Convert" to start converting HEIC to the destination format. After that, you can easily open HEIC files on your Windows computer.
- 3 Easy Ways to Recover Deleted Photos from iPhone without Backup
- iPhone Photo Recovery: How to Recover Permanently Deleted Photos on iPhone
Q1: How to Convert HEIC Files to JPEG on the Web?
- Go to heictojpg.com and upload up no more than five photos at a time. (You can drag and drop HEIC files from your computer to the webpage.)
- The website will automatically convert these files to JPEG for you.
- After that, tap "DOWNLOAD NOW" to get the result from the page.
Q2: How to Keep iPhone from Saving Photos in HEIC Format?
- Open iPhone's "Settings".
- Scroll down until you see "Camera".
- Tap on the option and then go to "Formats".
- Change the selection from "High Efficiency" to "Most Compatible".
Q3: Can I Open HEIC Files in Photoshop?
Of course. Adobe Photoshop can officially open HEIC files on a Mac. Or you can import and convert HEIC to JPG with Adobe Lightroom, too.
The Bottom Line
This passage explored two Windows HEIC viewers and expanded on how to open HEIC on Windows with them. As mentioned earlier, HEIF Image Extensions is only compatible with Windows 10 (1809 or later). So, if you don't want to update your Windows to a newer version, MobiKin HEIC to JPG Converter must be your top pick.
Finally, if you find it hard to handle HEIC files, you can configure your iPhone/iPad to take photos in the more compatible format, as described in the FAQs.