How to Backup Text Messages on iPhone Effectively?
In an era where most communication takes place through text messages, losing them is never fun. This is why many iOS users want to know how to backup text messages on iPhone. Backup your iPhone is always a good idea but even then, you have to ensure that the backed up files are safe. As such, you need the best backup tool and storage that not only allows you to complete the process faster but also allows you to access your message whenever you want to.
In this page, you can learn how to backup SMS on iPhone XS Max/XS/XR/X/8/7/6s with 3 effective methods. And a comparison is also given to let you know what are the pros and cons of each method so that you can choose one as you need quickly.
Method 1. How to Backup Text Messages on iPhone to PC/Mac Computer with Powerful Software - MobiKin Assistant for iOS
It is very easy to use and supports all iDevices which means you can use it to back up your text messages and other files on any iPhone model including iPhone XS Max/XS/XR/X/8/7/6s, iPads and iPods.
With this software, you can manage your phone's content easily through your PC/Mac, including SMS, contacts, notes, calendars, bookmarks, media files, books, and apps. The backed up text messages can be saved in HTML/Text/CSV/DB formats, which allows you to retrieve them in any way that supports different formats and read on computer. You can also delete the copied messages if you want to easily.
How to Backup Text Messages on iPhone to PC/Mac Computer in 3 Steps?
Preparations: Install MobiKin Assistant for iOS and the latest iTunes on your computer.
Step 1. Connect your iPhone to the computer.
Launch MobiKin Assistant for iOS and connect your iPhone to the computer via a USB cable. Then follow the on-screen prompts to make the software recognize your iPhone. You can see a main interface showing your iPhone's details including its iOS version, model as well as the storage space left.
Step 2. Select text messages on your iPhone.
Your iPhone's contents are displayed on the left side of the interface. You can click Messages to preview the conversations and tick on the SMS as you like to backup. You can select single one or more at one time if needed.
Step 3. Backup text messages from iPhone to the computer.
When done choosing, click Export which is at the top of the interface. You will be asked to choose a preferred format for the messages after which the backup process will begin. Your backed up text messages can be saved into HTML/Text/CSV/DB on your computer.
You may like:
- 4 Ways to Transfer Text Messages from Android to Computer
- How to Print out Text Messages from Android Phone? (Best 4 Ways)
- How to Transfer WhatsApp Messages from iPhone to Android?
One of the main advantages of using iTunes is that it provides a wide range of music to choose from. Being able to work on Windows and Mac, iTunes allows users to not only enjoy their selection of music but also purchase other Apple products, create backups and even restore their iPhone. Being able to back up manually is also an advantage to some users especially those who cannot access Wi-Fi.
Here's the steps to backup text messages from iPhone to computer with iTunes.
Step 1. You need to install the latest iTunes on your computer, then connect your iPhone to the computer via a USB cable.
Step 2. Launch iTunes, and you can enter the main interface when iTunes recognizes your iPhone. Tap on the device icon and click Summary.
Step 3. Please select This Computer as the storage location and tap on Back Up Now to backup your iPhone to computer. Click Done when finished.
Alternatively, you can set up the iPhone to sync with iTunes automatically in which case you do not have to do manual backups.
However, iTunes also has some disadvantages:
1. The interface is not easy to understand making it complicated for new users.
2. Provide limitations on the types of files that can be stored and their formats.
3. Slow download and upload speeds which means that when backing your messages you will have to be patient.
4. Do not allow selective backups, you have to be ready to backup your iPhone including the text messages.
Being wireless makes this storage platform and backup option very convenient for most users. Therefore iCloud is considered one of their benefits. The presence of an encryption ensures your messages and other files stay protected. And it is easy to set up and use iCloud especially when it comes to backups.
Preparations: Connect your iPhone to a stable Wi-Fi network. Please make sure the power of your iPhone is enough for text messages backup, otherwise, you need to connect your iPhone to a power source.
Step 1. Please go to Settings > iCloud > turn on iCloud Backup.
Step 2. Click OK to confirm that your iPhone will no longer automatically sync to your computer if you receive this prompt on your iPhone screen.
Step 3. Click Back Up Now to backup your iPhone data to iCloud. Your messages will be copied together with other data. <<See how to transfer music from iPhone to iCloud.
You only have 5 GB free storage of iCloud. And you can only restore the latest backups, which will cover your present files when you lose iOS data. If you want to backup your iPhone data as you like without size limitation, you can read Method 1.
These 3 methods can help you backup text messages on iPhone easily. You can select one as you need after reading this table for comparison.
MobiKin Assistant for iOS
1. Support contacts, media files, apps and other files.
2. Selectively/completely backup to computer without size limitation.
3. Fast for data transferring.
4. The backed up text messages are readable on computer.
5. 100% clean & safe.
1. The full version is not free.
2. You can not access the backups via wireless networks.
1. Support contacts, calendars, and media files.
2. iPhone data can be synced to iTunes automatically.
3. Backup iPhone data to computer without size limitation.
1. The backed up files are saved unreadable.
2. Do not support backing up selectively.
3. The speed for data backing up is slow.
1. Support iMessages, SMS, MMS, app data, devices settings and media files.
2. You can access the backups whenever and wherever if connect to Wi-Fi.
3. Support files sharing.
1. Only 5 GB free storage is offered. You need to pay for more space.
2. Only support restoring from the latest backed up files.
3. The backup speed is up to the networks.
On this tutorial, we post 3 safe & easy ways for you to backup/transfer text messages on iPhone. From the comparison, you can obviously see their pros and cons. Pick one as you like to save iPhone SMS. If you like to perform a total management on your iPhone, MobiKin Assistant for iOS (Win/Mac) is designed for you.
You can download the free trails and tell us what do you think about it.