Dropbox vs Google Drive vs OneDrive- Which is Better?
Installing a cloud storage server on the mobile phone would help users to backup or share their phone data more easily. And presently, there are 3 popular cloud servers on the market- Dropbox, Google Drive and OneDrive. All these applications are highly rated so some of you may wonder which of them would be better. But actually, each cloud storage server has its good points and you need to select the proper one according to your need. That is to say, you need to get more details about Dropbox vs Google Drive vs OneDrive and this article is what you need.
Normally, you can compare these three servers from the following aspects:
The first thing that you care about might be the storage space. Let's take a look together:
Dropbox: If you register an individual Dropbox account, the Dropbox Basic will provide 2GB free storage for you and Dropbox Pro will give you 1TB space. But if the account is for teams, the storage space will be unlimited. In other words, you can save all the files you want in the Dropbox and do not need to worry about the space limitation.
Google Drive: Google Drive provides 15GB free Google online storage for its users who have sign up an individual account. Compared with other cloud storage server, the free storage space of Google Drive is very large. And also, it offers unlimited storage space to the users who have register an account for work.
OneDrive: For the individual users of OneDrive, Microsoft will give them 5GB free storage space. And if you have registered an OneDrive account for business, you will have 1TB of space per person for as little as $5.00/month.
While choosing a cloud storage space, you should pay attention to the model and systems of your device cause not all the devices and systems are supported by these server.
Dropbox: You can download and install the Dropbox on Windows, Mac OS, Linux, iOS, Android and BlackBerry.
Google Drive: This server only supports the Windows, Mac OS, iOS and Android.
OneDrive: OneDrive is compatible with Windows, Mac OS, iOS, Android and Windows phone.
Hence, before installing the application on your phone, you'd better check whether the server supports your device or not.
Certainly, it is impossible that you can sync all kinds of files to these cloud storage server. Then what kind of files can you move to each server? Let me tell you.
Dropbox: The file types that Dropbox supports include Microsoft Office, Apple iWork, audio, video and image files.
Google Drive: Google Drive supports more file types, such as image files, audios, videos, Autodesk AutoCad, Scalable Vector Graphics, Adobe Illustrator & Photoshop and so on.
OneDrive: OneDrive is mainly used to backup and share Microsoft Office file types. But except that, you can also save pictures, videos and audios in it.
So when you move the files to these servers, you'd better make sure if they are supported by the application.
Security would be another factor that most users care about. So in this part, we will tall about the security of these three cloud storage server:
Dropbox: While you sign in Dropbox via website, you will be required to complete a 2-step verification. And if you select to login to your Dropbox account on your mobile phone, you also can set a 4-digit passcode to protect your private data.
Google Drive: Also, you need to accomplish a 2-step verification then you can enter the Google Drive.
OneDrive: As for OneDrive, you would only receive a security code in your secondary email address when you try to edit your contact info or connect your computer for remote access.
Apart from the common features above, these three Apps still have some other unique features.
Dropbox: With this software, you are able to:
- Upload the files to Dropbox and then you access these files anytime and anywhere you like.
- Share files, folders and other data with others without any hassle.
- Send a file request to ask someone to send photos, songs, documents or other files to you.
- Recover the deleted files from Dropbox or restore the modified documents to their previous version.
Google Drive: In this cloud storage server, you can:
- Download and share any Gmail attachments to Google Drive.
- Upload and backup files on Android phone easily.
- Search a certain file like photos, documents, etc. more quickly by typing in a certain word.
- Converting paper documents into PDF file is also allowed here. What's more, you can view the shared files on Google Drive as well.
OneDrive: This tool allows you to:
- Upload and backup files like photos, videos and so on from phone/tablet to cloud.
- Download and save the backed up files from OneDrive to portable device.
- Share files with anyone via different ways, including inviting people, sending link and sending files.
From above, you can see that all the applications have their own advantages and disadvantages. That is to say, you need to have different choices when you are in different situations. For instance:
1. You are advised to select the Dropbox when you:
- Need to backup a large number of files.
- Restore deleted files or modified documents to previous version.
2. Google Drive can be your choice if:
- You want to find out a certain file more easily and quickly.
- You try to convert a paper document into a PDF file.
3. Or you can choose OneDrive if you want to:
- Share your files with others in disparate ways.