4 Best Ways to Back Up iPad Air/Pro/mini/4/3/2 to Mac/MacBook
No Apple device can operate all the time and maintain good performance. For example, in some cases, such as being upgraded, lost, damaged, suffering from system failure, etc., a previous iOS backup is often the most reassuring. Well, if you want to create a Mac-based backup for your iPad, don't miss this page. We will collect four optimized methods to help you back up iPad to Mac here. Just go ahead with reading and get your desired approach.
- Method 1: How to Back Up iPad to Mac with One-click
- Method 2: How to Back Up iPad on Mac via iCloud
- Method 3: How to Back Up iPad to Mac with iTunes (macOS Mojave or Older)
- Method 4: How to Back Up iPad on Mac Using Finder (macOS Catalina or Newer)
- Bonus: Tips to Manage iPad Backups in macOS Catalina and Above
Dedicated iOS backup tools never let you down when it comes to iPad backup or management. MobiKin Assistant for iOS (Mac and Win) is one of them to get you pretty far. In addition to making backups for iDevices flexibly and easily, this software has advanced controls like the ability to copy data from/to your devices in a selective manner or manipulate your iOS content freely on a larger screen.
MobiKin Assistant for iOS does well in the following:
- One-click to back up iPad to Mac/PC.
- Restore backups to any Apple devices.
- Selectively transfer data between iDevices and computer/iTunes.
- Best iOS manager software to manage (add, delete, edit, copy, etc.) iOS content on a computer directly.
- Apply to overall iOS devices, including iPad Pro, iPad Air, iPad 4, iPad mini, the new iPad, iPad 2, iPhones, iPod touch, etc.
- It won't track your privacy.
How do I back up iPad to Mac with MobiKin Assistant for iOS?
Step 1. Connect your iPad to Mac
Install the downloaded program on a Mac. Launch it and connect your iPad to this Mac via USB. Click the "Trust" button on your device when asked. This will make your iPad trust your computer.
Step 2. View and choose any items to back up
Once recognized, choose any data types from the left menu of the software screen. Soon, you can preview and select the specific files on the right column.
Step 3. Start to back up iPad to Mac at once
After the selection, press the "Export" button and specify a location to store the data; the iPad to Mac data backup will commence immediately.
Alternatively, you're be allowed to back up your iPad to Mac in bulk by going to the program's "Super Toolkit" > "iTunes Backup & Restore" > "Backup" > choose your iPad to back up > set an output folder > tap "OK".
- A Quick Start Guide on How to Extract Photos from iPhone
- How Long Does It Take to Back Up iPhone/iPad to iCloud/iTunes? Here's The Answer
Do you want to take an iPad backup on a Mac wirelessly? Well, iCloud gives you the option to complete it. This service makes it easy for you to automatically sync data like pictures, documents, photos, and iOS Settings to its cloud storage. And you're enabled to make manual backups as well. Once done, you can save the iCloud backup on your Mac from the iCloud web.
How do I back up my iPad to Mac via iCloud?
- Go to your iPad's "Settings" > "iCloud" > enable "iCloud Backup".
- Choose the "Back Up Now" button to sync iPad data with iCloud. (iCloud backup taking forever?)
- Enter your Apple ID and passcode as required.
- Go to the iCloud website on your Mac.
- Input the same iCloud credential and get the backup file onto the Mac.
In macOS Mojave or older, backing up iPad to iTunes is easy to carry out, as the tool has a built-in feature for iOS data sync. Before starting the backup, you're empowered to check or uncheck the "Encrypted backup" as per your needs.
How do I back up my iPad Air/mini/Pro/4/3/2 to an old Mac with iTunes?
- Connect your iPad to your Mac with macOS Mojave or older using a Lightning cable.
- Start the latest version of iTunes. (Your iPad cannot be detected due to the iTunes driver not being installed?)
- To have your device recognized, please trust your computer when prompted.
- After that, please choose your device name on your Mac. (Need to sync Health and Activity data or Apple Watch? Just check the "Encrypt [device] backup".)
- Create a password and save it somewhere before clicking "Back Up Now" to back up your iPad to this Mac.
- What to Do If iPad Won't Restore or Update? Check the 7 Solutions Here
- [Easy Guide] How to Recover Data from Broken iPad Pro/Air/4/mini?
As you may know, Apple retired iTunes in macOS Catalina or new. Yet, you still have the ability to run a backup on these Macs with an iTunes alternative - Finder. Here's how to back up iPad to Mac with Finder:
- On your Mac with newer macOS (Catalina or later), open "Finder".
- Link your iPad to your Mac through a USB cable.
- Follow the on-screen instruction to get your iPad identified.
- After that, select your iPad's name on Mac. (Mark "Encrypt local backup" if you want to save Apple Watch or Health/Activity files.)
- Create a password and tap "Back Up Now".
- Check if the backup is successfully created when the process ends.
After backing up your iPad on a newer Mac many times, multiple backups will be created on the computer. For ease of viewing and restoring them at any time, you can manage the backup files directly on this Mac, for example, delete unwanted backups to free up the computer's memory. Now let's see how to do it:
- Ensure your iPad is connected to your Mac via a USB cable.
- Open the "Finder" window by pressing "Command-N".
- Go to the "Locations" section and choose your device's icon.
- Go to the "General" > "Backups" > "Manage Backups" > "Device Backup".
- You can now manage or delete the iPad backups you ever made.
Words in the End
For iPad backup to Mac, iTunes and MobiKin Assistant for iOS could be your top priority. This is because iCloud is very inefficient and prone to errors during tasks, though it is an alternative. If you want to be carefree about iPad backup and restore, simply consider the 3rd-party program, for iTunes overwrites the existing content of your iPad when restoring content. Finally, if you have any questions or suggestions, please let us know below. Thanks!